The Premiers of each of the 10 provinces and 3 territories present the Council of the Federation Literacy Award for International Literacy Day. International Literacy Day is September 8.
The 2023 nomination deadline is June 12, 2023.
Who can you nominate?
People who help Yukon adults get the literacy skills they need to meet their goals.
The award honours:
- First Nations' programs;
- community organizations; and
A nominee must:
- be a Yukon resident who is at least 19 years of age;
- have basic literacy skills in English or French; and
- be involved in enhancing adult literacy.
The Council of Federation has traditionally focused on English, French and Indigenous languages, but practitioners in all languages will be considered.
How is excellence in literacy shown?
Past recipients have:
- set up new literacy programs or literacy organizations;
- provided exemplary literacy services;
- made a difference in people's lives with tutoring or adult education;
- inspired others as an adult literacy learner;
- made legal information more accessible;
- taken innovative approaches to literacy as reconciliation; and
- worked to revitalize a Yukon First Nation language.
How to nominate someone
- Download and complete the Council of the Federation Literacy Award, Yukon nomination package. If you cannot download the package, we will send you a copy. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 867-667-5906 or toll-free in the Yukon 1-800-661-0408 extension 5906.
- Submit the application.
Government of Yukon
Department of Economic Development (F-1)
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6
What happens after a recipient is selected?
We'll contact the recipient and all nominators. We'll host an award ceremony on or near International Literacy Day.
Want to learn more?
If you have questions about the Council of the Federation Literacy Award email email@example.com or phone 867-667-5906 or toll free in the Yukon 1-800-661-0408, extension 5906.