Apply for land for a trapping cabin

If you have a trapping concession in the Yukon, you may apply for land to build a trapping cabin.


To be eligible for a lease or licence for trapping cabins, you must be:

  • the holder of a trapping concession in good standing; and
  • 19 years of age or older.

Choosing a site

You can use our GeoYukon interactive map to select a location for your trapping cabin within your concession area.

Ensure the land is available and does not overlap:

  • Settlement Land;
  • a titled parcel; or
  • other conflicting uses.

You can get help with GeoYukon at:

The maximum size for a trapping basecamp is 1 hectare. The maximum size for a line cabin area is 15 metres by 15 metres. The site must be set back at least 30.48 metres from a lake or large waterbody or 10 metres from a creek.

Ensure your site meets the criteria in our trapping cabin land policy.

Apply for the land

  1. Download, complete and sign the application form.
  2. Include with your application:
    • a detailed, to-scale site plan including all cabins, sheds and other structures;
    • location maps; and
    • a copy of your valid and current concession certificate.
  3. We recommend you review your application with our staff. We can help ensure your application is complete and the land you chose is suitable. You can visit us at:
  4. Submit your application along with an application fee of $25 plus 5 per cent GST. You can do this when you meet with our staff to go over your application.

Timeline for decision

Review of your application includes consultation with First Nations and public engagement. It typically takes 12 to 24 months to reach a decision on your application. Throughout the process, we'll be in touch:

  • to keep you up to date on the progress of your application; and
  • if we need clarification.

After you receive our decision

  1. After we make a decision about your application, we'll mail you a decision letter.
  2. If we approve your application, we'll mail a licence or lease document to you to sign.
  3. After you sign the document, we sign the licence or lease and provide you with a final copy for your records.

If we deny your application

We'll notify you in the decision letter. You can appeal the decision.



Our client services staff can assist you with any questions. Contact the Land Management Branch. Phone 867-667-5215 or email