- About the Municipal Board (Yukon)
- Apply to be a member of the Municipal Board (Yukon)
- Current members
About the Municipal Board (Yukon)
The Board provides an arm’s length forum for reviewing municipal actions and provides an avenue for public input. The Board hears appeals and advises the Minister of Community Services in the areas of planning and municipal boundary changes.
The Board has jurisdiction under the Act specifically:
- to make recommendations on a proposal for the formation, dissolution, or alteration of boundaries of a municipality;
- to act as the board of negotiation under the Expropriation Act for land expropriated by a municipality;
- if requested by a council, to make recommendations on a proposed official community plan or amendments thereto;
- to hear an appeal from a decision of council on an application or plan of subdivision; and
- to perform any other duties the Commissioner in Executive Council may delegate to it under the Act.
- Authority: Municipal Act, section 328
- Type: advisory, adjudicative
- Appointment process: order in council
- Requirements: no legislated requirements required to join.
- Term: 3 years and may be reappointed
- Meetings: as needed
- Department: Community Services
- Honoraria: $200 per day
Apply to be a member of the Municipal Board (Yukon)
Any Yukon resident is eligible to apply to serve on a government board or committee.
- Complete the application.
- Prepare a brief resume. This should include information relevant for sitting on the board or committee.
- Submit your completed application and resume.
In person: Inquiry Desk at 2071 Second Avenue in Whitehorse. We are open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Address your envelope "Attention: Boards and Committees Secretariat (CM-1)"
Government of Yukon
Boards and Committees Secretariat (CM-1)
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6
How members are selected
Members are appointed by a Minister, Cabinet or the Legislative Assembly.
School board and school council members can be elected or, in some cases, appointed.
Appointments to these boards are based on standing committee recommendations:
- Yukon Development Corporation
- Yukon Energy Corporation
- Yukon Workers' Compensation Health and Safety Board
- Yukon Lottery Commission
- Yukon Recreation Advisory Committee
- Yukon Arts Advisory Council
- Yukon Utilities Board
- Yukon Council on the Economy and the Environment
- Yukon Human Rights Commission
Some boards and committees members are required to hold certain professional qualifications or affiliations.
- Michael Riseborough, chair from March 28, 2019, to March 27, 2022
- Mike Crawshay, alternate member from November 23, 2017, to November 22, 2020
- Rose Sellars, deputy chair from April 22, 2019, to April 21, 2022
- Wes Wirth, member from February 13, 2019, to February 13, 2021
For questions about the Municipal Board (Yukon) phone 867-334-7472.