What is the Council of the Federation?
Premiers across the country make up the Council of the Federation. They work together on issues of common concern.
What is the Council of the Federation Award for Innovation in Mental Health and Addictions?
This award recognizes people or organizations who work in mental health and substance use care for their:
- outstanding achievement;
- innovative practise; and
Each province and territory will issue 1 award of $5,000 to support the selected initiative and foster innovation.
The Council of the Federation will recognize all recipients and promote their work across Canada as examples of innovation and collaboration.
The award honours:
- First Nations programs and/or governments;
- community organizations; and
- Yukoners making a difference on their own.
Who can you nominate?
You can nominate a:
- non-governmental organization;
- First Nation program; and
- First Nation government.
Who is not eligible
- Yukon government-run programs
- Yukon government employees
All nominees must've been involved in the delivery of mental health or addiction services in a paid or volunteer capacity within the last 2 years. The mental health or substance use services can be preventative, or treatment-oriented.
A nominee must be a Yukon:
- non-governmental organization; or
- First Nation government.
An individual nominee must be 16 years of age.
What is the nomination deadline?
The nomination deadline is May 20, 2022, at midnight.
Examples of the types of work or initiatives
The award will recognize quality care for mental health and substance use such as:
- treatment; and
- maintenance of wellness interventions.
Some examples of mental health and substance use programming could be, but are not limited to:
- services that promote positive and preventative occupation for youth, such as cultural or sporting interventions;
- youth-led interventions that promote wellness, or life-promotion interventions;
- reclamation of culture with a wellness lens;
- on-the-land treatment camps;
- smoking cessation or prevention programming; or
- training on harm reduction for people who use substances.
What is the process for selecting recipients?
- The selection committee will review the nominations.
- The committee will make a recommendation to the Premier.
- The Premier will make the final decision.
- We'll contact all nominators by June 30, 2022.
What happens after a recipient is selected?
- We'll contact the recipient and nominator.
- We'll coordinate with the Office of the Premier to organize an award ceremony.
- The national award recipients will be announced in July 2022.
- The award ceremony in the Yukon will take place in fall 2022.
How do you nominate someone?
To submit a nomination for the Council of the Federation Award for Innovation in Mental Health and Addictions Care, provide the following:
- A completed nomination cover sheet.
- A story or explanation describing the nominee’s work in mental health or substance use care. This can be up to 8 typewritten or legible handwritten pages. The story should include:
- a clear description of the project, initiative, study or program;
- when the project started and how long it continued;
- what the project is or what its goal was;
- an explanation of the innovative practices and excellence the nominee showed (for example, why is this nominee’s work different or a step up on what has come before, or already existed?);
- a description of the success of the work (for example, how the project affected the lives of Yukoners and contributed to mental health and wellness); and
- a description of the types of people the project helped, and how many people it helped.
- 2 letters or emails of support from people familiar with the nominee’s work. The letters should include specific examples of why the nominee deserves the award.
Optional supporting material
Any supporting materials that describe or support the initiative, project, study or program. This could include multimedia, website links or scanned print products.
How to submit your nomination package
You can submit your nomination package by email or mail.
Government of Yukon
Mental Wellness and Substance Use Services
609 Steele Street,
If you have questions about the Award for Innovation in Mental Health and Addictions, email COF.firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 867-456-3838.