Get legal advice: victims of intimate partner violence or sexualized assault

Who can access this service?

The Independent Legal Advice (ILA) program provides victims of intimate partner violence and/or sexualized assault with free legal advice and information. ILA gives victims confidence to make informed decisions.

How do you know if you're eligible?

To be eligible:

  • victims need to be living in the Yukon; or
  • the crime must have occurred in the Yukon.

The ILA program is for victims of all genders and ages.

When can you access this program?

You can use this program at any time. It does not matter if the incident took place recently, a few weeks or months ago, or if the case is historical.

You do not need to have reported to the police to access this program. Your case could already be in the courts or over. This program is not time-limited. It starts from the moment that sexualized or intimate partner violence began.

What does the program provide?

You will receive up to 4 hours of free, confidential legal advice.

How can you access this program?

You can:

  • fill out the ILA intake form and email it to Victim Services; or
  • ask a trusted service provider to call Victim Services on your behalf; or
  • contact Victim Services to find out more:

Learn more about how this program works

To find more information about the ILA program, download the Independent Legal Advice fact sheet.


You can phone or drop in to talk to us (no appointment required) Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.


In person: 301 Jarvis Street, 2nd floor
Phone: 867-667-8500
Toll free: 1-800-661-0408, extension 8500

Dawson City

In person: 813B 3rd Avenue
Phone: 867-993-5831

Watson Lake

In person: 820 Adela Trail
Phone: 867-536-2541