Find out what happens when you report a crime

  • Victims of sexualized assault or domestic violence
  • Why you might want to report a crime
  • How to report a crime
  • What to expect during a police interview
  • Police will investigate the crime
  • The decision to lay a charge

Victim Services can support you if you've been a victim of crime, even if you don't report it.

  1. Victims of sexualized assault or domestic violence

    If you are a victim of sexualized assault, visit our page on sexualized assault for more detailed information on what’s supports are available in reporting to the police.

    Victims of domestic violence may want to read about what happens if the police are involved.

  2. Why you might want to report a crime

    Reporting a crime can:

    • give you a chance to talk about the crime and the harm that has been done to you or others;
    • provide opportunities for the formal criminal justice system to hold the perpetrator accountable; and
    • help to protect you, your loved ones and the community from future crimes.

  3. How to report a crime

    If you're in immediate danger, phone 911

    1. Contact your local police.
      • Carmacks 867-863-5555
      • Dawson City 867-993-5555
      • Faro 867-994-5555
      • Haines Junction 867-634-5555
      • Mayo 867-996-5555
      • Old Crow 867-966-5555
      • Pelly 867-537-5555
      • Ross River 867-969-5555
      • Tagish-Carcross 867-821-5555
      • Teslin 867-390-5555
      • Watson Lake 867-536-5555
      • Whitehorse 867-667-5555
    2. You can report the crime right away or you can wait and report it later.

    Reporting early:

    • may increase the chances of finding and preserving evidence; and
    • can help with finding and prosecuting the accused person.

  4. What to expect during a police interview

    The police will interview you to collect information for the investigation.

    • You can have a support person or a friend with you.
    • Victim Services can go with you to make a statement.
    • A police officer will ask you what happened.

    Making a statement

    It's important to tell the police everything you remember about the incident.

    • You can write your own statement.
    • If a police officer writes your statement based on what you've told them:
      • you have to read through your statement; and
      • make sure it's right.
    • You have to sign your statement.
    • In some cases the police will record your statement in an audio or a videotaped interview.
    • The police may need to speak with you more than 1 time.

  5. Police will investigate the crime

    If you report a crime, it does not guarantee that the police will arrest a suspect.

    What do the police do after you report the crime?

    1. The police must investigate the crime. This can take some time.
    2. Besides the statement you made, the police may need to gather other evidence.

    What happens after you make your statement?

    • The police will give you a file number.
    • You can phone the police at any time to ask where the investigation stands. Tell them your file number.

    Victim Services can support you to get information from the police.

  6. The decision to lay a charge

    If the police find there's enough evidence to go to trial they will:

    • lay a charge; and
    • prepare a report with all the evidence and information for the crown prosecutor.

    If charges are laid

    The accused may be:

    • arrested and released on a promise to appear in court; or
    • arrested and held in custody unless granted bail at a bail hearing.

    Find out about the court process

    If the police do not lay charges

    The police will not lay charges if they feel there's not enough evidence. They can present other options, such as:

    • peace bond;
    • emergency intervention order; or
    • victim assistance order.

    Victim Services can help you get an order to keep someone away from you.

    No charges laid

    Just because no charges were laid it does not mean:

    • the police did not believe you; or
    • that a crime did not occur.

    It may just mean that there's not enough evidence to prove a criminal charge in court.


Victim Services

You can call or drop in to talk to us (no appointment required) Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.


In person: 212 Main Street, Suite 210 – 2nd floor
Phone: 867-667-8500, or toll free 1-800-661-0408, extension 8500

Dawson City

In person: 813B 3rd Avenue
Phone: 867-993-5831

Watson Lake

In person: 820 Adela Trail
Phone: 867-536-2541