Complete a victim impact statement

What is a victim impact statement?

  • It’s an opportunity for a victim, their family and people impacted by a crime to share their experience.
  • It helps the judge understand how the victim experienced the harm
  • It can describe:
    • physical and emotional harm;
    • damage to property; and
    • lost money.

Who can write a victim impact statement?

  • A victim.
  • A person who:
    • suffered physical or emotional harm;
    • had their property damaged; or
    • lost money.
  • A victim's family member or loved one.

A statement can also be written by:

  • the survivors of deceased victims; or
  • the parent or guardian of a child victim.

If a victim is not able to make a statement, it can be written by their:

  • spouse;
  • common-law partner;
  • dependent; or
  • relative.

How is the statement used?

The information in your statement will be used to assist with sentencing.

It's also a chance to talk about:

  • any safety concerns you have; or
  • if you don't want the accused to contact you.

Do you have to fill out a victim impact statement?

You don’t have to complete a statement. It's voluntary.

Can you get help to write the statement?

Yes. A victim services worker can:

  • help you with the statement; or
  • with any questions you have.

The statement needs to reflect your thoughts and feelings. If you are having trouble writing about how the crime has affected you, you get help from:

  • a victim services worker;
  • a crown witness co-ordinator
  • a friend; or
  • a family member.

What if the victim can't complete the statement?

Someone else may be able to complete the statement on the victim’s behalf. To learn about the options, phone Victim Services.

Whitehorse: 867-667-8500, or toll free in the Yukon 1-800-661-0408, ext. 8500

Dawson City: 867-993-5831

Watson Lake: 867-536-2541

For 24-hour support, phone Victim Link: 1-800-563-0808.

When should you write a victim impact statement?

You can write your statement any time:

  • after a charge is laid; but
  • before sentencing.

When should the judge receive the statement?

The statement must go to the judge before the accused is sentenced. A victim services worker can help you learn about the dates for sentencing.

What should you include in your statement?

  • Describe how the crime affected you and your family.
  • Describe the physical and emotional impacts of the crime.
  • Include information about any damage to your property and any financial loss (lost money).
  • If you are concerned about having contact with the accused or have safety concerns.
  • You only have to answer questions on the form that apply to you, or that you want to answer.
  • There is some information that is not allowed. It may get taken out before the statement gets to the judge:
    • do not include a description of the crime or how it occurred;
    • avoid comments about the accused;
    • avoid comments about the sentence you think the accused deserves.

How can you submit a victim impact statement

  1. Download the Victim Impact Statement form, or pick up the form at a Victim Services office.
  2. If you have questions, you can ask a victim services worker
  3. Complete the form by hand.
  4. Submit the completed form.
  5. If you would like a Word version of this form, please contact Victim Services.

In person: 301 Jarvis Street, 2nd floor
Fax: 867-393-6240
Government of Yukon
Victim Services (J-7)
Box 2703,
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6

Dawson City
In person: 813 3rd Avenue
Fax: 867-993-6380
Government of Yukon
Victim Services
Box 1312
Dawson City, Yukon Y0B 1G0

Watson Lake
In person: 820 Adela Trail
Fax: 867-536-2684
Government of Yukon
Victim Services
Box 554
Watson Lake, Yukon Y0A 1C0


You can phone or drop in to talk to us (no appointment required) Monday through Friday between 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.


In person: 301 Jarvis Street, 2nd floor
Phone: 867-667-8500
Toll free: 1-800-661-0408, extension 8500

Dawson City

In person: 813B 3rd Avenue
Phone: 867-993-5831

Watson Lake

In person: 820 Adela Trail
Phone: 867-536-2541