Are you a family member of a Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women, Girls and Two-spirit+ People (MMIWG2S+)? Are you searching for information on your loved one's case?
The Family Information Liaison Unit (FILU) is a free and confidential resource for families of MMIWG2S+.
We can gather information on your behalf, such as official information and records from:
- the police;
- court; and
- government and non-government agencies.
We will try to explain why certain records may be unavailable.
We can support you at meetings:
- Arrange meetings with agencies.
- Be there for you.
We can walk with you through the legal process
If your loved one’s case is still under investigation or in the court system, we can help you navigate the process.
- attend court with you and make sure you understand what is going on;
- provide regular updates from courts, police and corrections.
We can provide cultural support
We honour your loved one and know this is a very difficult time.
- provide cultural support that includes land-based healing events with other families of MMIWG2S+; and
- connect you with Elders in the community.
We provide emotional support
We can provide emotional support. Or, we can refer you to others, such as a counsellor to help you on your healing journey.
What information do you need to bring to your first meeting?
- Bring as much information as you have about your loved one.
- Key information includes your loved one's full name and date of birth.
- If you have limited information on your loved one, we can help you find it.
Contact the Family Information Liaison Unit
In person: 301 Jarvis Street, 2nd floor (Victim Services office) in Whitehorse
Phone: 867-393-7178 toll free 1-800-661-0408 extension 7178, or you can text 867-332-0993
Government of Yukon
Family Information Liaison Unit (J-7)
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6
The Family Information Liaison Unit is established in partnership with the Yukon Aboriginal Women’s Council. Contact the council in person and by mail:
307 Jarvis Street,
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2H3