- What is the Building UP program?
- Manage your application and agreements with Genie
What is the Building UP program?
The Building UP program funds organizations that:
- support people to get job skills or find work;
- provide support to employers;
- connect employers to people looking for jobs; and
- co-ordinate community and sector training funds.
Any organization will be considered for this funding program except:
- federal, provincial or territorial governments; or
- Crown corporations.
First Nations governments
First Nations governments are eligible. They may also request funding for labour market initiatives on a government-to-government basis.
Labour market funding priorities
For 2019–20, we identified these priorities:
- Strengthen strategic partnerships with Yukon First Nations.
- Strengthen the labour market in communities outside of Whitehorse.
- Increase the labour market involvement of under-represented groups, including:
- Yukon First Nation citizens;
- youth under the age of 30;
- workers over the age of 50;
- newcomers to Canada;
- people with disabilities; and
- women in trades and technology.
- Improve community consultation with the Labour Market Framework process and successors.
- Increase the use of regional, national and international labour market information.
What can be funded through the Building UP program?
Organizations can get funding to carry out activities that strengthen the labour market.
Services and supports for individuals
- Case management and referrals to other supports
- Skills development
- Job search assistance
- Employment support services
Services and supports for employers
- Building employers’ labour market capacity
Projects that connect employers to jobseekers
- Research and distribute labour market information
- Labour market projects and programs such as:
- developing industry or sector-specific strategies;
- developing and delivering employer networking events.
- Evaluating existing offerings and processes
Coordinate community or sector labour market funding
Manage and redistribute funds to provide training services or supports to:
- employers; or
- other organizations.
What costs may be funded?
The fair market value of project costs, such as:
- project delivery for:
- staffing; and
- operating and overhead; and
What we look for in an application
All projects we fund require financial and activity reporting. We will also need strong measures of success and we will help you identify ways to measure them.
How to apply
- Contact us. We'll help you develop your application.
- After we've come up with a plan together, complete your application.
- Submit your application.
In person: by appointment
Toll free: 1-800-661-0408 extension 5906
Manage your application and agreements with Genie
If you're an organization applying for Building Up funding, you'll need to use the Genie online application to apply and manage your agreements. Genie is a secure online application for the delivery of labour market programs. It's used by:
- the Government of Yukon; and
Genie enables partners to enhance:
- case management for participants;
- improve service to individuals; and
- improve efficiencies and effectiveness within their operations.
The system also allows us to:
- improve service to agreement holders; and
- increase efficiency and effectiveness.
How to register
To register as a Genie user, phone 867-667-5906 or toll free at 1-800-661-0408, extension 5906.
Genie user manual
Read the Genie user manual for more information on system functions. This manual provides guidance and examples of how to use Genie such as:
- how to set up your organization; or
- to apply for funding.