Make a complaint about a financial investment

If you feel you lost money due to an investment, you have options.

When to make a complaint

If you feel your financial adviser or company:

  • mishandled your investment;
  • made an error; or
  • gave you poor advice or information.

How to make a complaint

Start with the person or company that you dealt with. As soon as possible, write out your complaint and send it by registered mail to your adviser.

  • Be clear about:
    • what you believe went wrong;
    • when the issue occurred; and
    • the outcome you expect in order to resolve the issue (for example, having your account corrected or getting your money back).
  • Document each step you take, including telephone conversations, emails, faxes and letters.
  • Note the dates and times of contact, who you spoke or wrote to, and what you discussed. Communicate in writing whenever possible and keep copies.

For more information, visit the Canadian Securities Administrators' Getting your money back.

Options for next steps

  1. Take your complaint to the Ombudsman for Banking Services and Investments.
  2. If the investment firm is a member of the Canadian Investment Regulatory Organization (CIRO), file a complaint with CIRO.
  3. If your advisor is registered with a CIRO Member, file a complaint with CIRO.
  4. Take legal action through civil courts to recover losses from your firm. Depending on the amount, this could include Small Claims Court.
  5. If you're unable to resolve the issue, you may prepare a written formal complaint to the Office of the Superintendent of Securities.

Making a complaint in Yukon

To submit a complaint to the Office of the Superintendent of Securities, complete the Securities Act Complaint Form.  The complaint must include:

  • what your complaint is about;
  • where and when the incident took place, including dates and times;
  • what steps you've taken to resolve the situation;
  • names and addresses of those involved, your relationship to the corporation or individual at the source of the complaint;
  • copies of letters, cancelled cheques, account statements, or other documents that may help to explain your complaint and support your statements; and
  • other information that would help us to better understand your concerns.

Submit your complaint

  • In person: 307 Black Street in Whitehorse. Our office is open Monday to Friday from 8:30 am. to 4:30 p.m.
  • Email:
  • Phone: 867-667-5466 or toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408, extension 5466
  • Fax: 867-393-6251
  • Mail:
    Government of Yukon
    Corporate Affairs
    Box 2703, (C-6)
    Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6

After you submit your complaint

It is our policy that complaints to our office are of interest and concern to the public. So, the process is open and transparent. Unless we receive a request for confidentiality, the complaint and investigation will be public.