Apply for an insurance agency licence

All insurance agencies doing business in the Yukon must:

  • register;
  • hold a Yukon licence; and
  • renew their licence every year.

Listed below is information on:

  • eligibility;
  • classes of insurance available in the Yukon;
  • documentation requirements; and
  • fees.

We recommend reading this information before applying.

Apply using the online portal

In the Yukon, an insurance agency is a business involved in the placement of insurance contracts.

Agencies can apply for 3 classes of insurance in the Yukon:

  • life, accident and sickness;
  • accident and sickness; and
  • general.


The agency must:

  • be sponsored by an insurer licensed in the Yukon;
  • be registered with Government of Yukon's Corporate Affairs branch; and
  • have a designated representative who is licensed in the Yukon.

You can have more than 1 designated representative to correspond with your classes of insurance.

Complaints or actions against the agency

If there've been complaints or disciplinary or criminal action against the agency:

  • we'll assess eligibility on a case-by-case basis; and
  • we may not approve the registration or licensing.

Documents we require

Provide the following documents with your application. You must provide these in an electronic format such as JPG, PDF or PNG.

All applicants

Applicants must provide:

  • proof of business registration with Government of Yukon’s Corporate Affairs branch;
  • E& O certificate. Minimum coverage of $500,000 per claim and $1,000,000 in aggregate that extends to all insurance activities; and
  • current government-issued photo ID (not a health care card) for all owners, business partners and members of the boards of directors.

Agencies registered to practise in another jurisdiction

These agencies must provide proof of good standing from their home jurisdiction. We accept:

  • a recent screenshot from their home regulator’s online register;
  • a copy of your insurance agency licence from their home jurisdiction;
  • a certificate of authority from their home regulator; or
  • any combination of the above.

You must ensure these documents show all the following:

  • your agency name;
  • your licence number;
  • the classes of insurance you are licensed to sell; and
  • your current licence status or licence expiry date.

The portal has more details on these requirements.



These annual fees apply if your home jurisdiction is outside the Yukon.

  • Life, accident and sickness: $200
  • Accident and sickness: $100
  • General: $100


These annual fees apply if the Yukon is your home jurisdiction.

  • Life, accident and sickness: $100
  • Accident and sickness: $50
  • General: $50


If we approve your application, we'll email you an invoice for your annual licensing fee. Once you receive this invoice, you can pay through the portal.

Go to the online portal

  1. Create a profile. With your profile you'll be able to:
    • log in to the portal at any time;
    • upload documents;
    • view your registration information; and
    • apply for a licence.
  2. Follow the steps after selecting "Apply for a licence" under the "Licensing" tab.
  3. Refer to information on this page if needed.


  • You do not have to submit an application to create a profile on the portal.
  • Prepare your documents ahead of time. Save them first as digital files so that they're ready to upload when you apply.
  • You can take a picture of a document with your mobile device to submit it as a digital document.


For questions about the application process, email or phone 867-667-5111, toll free in the Yukon 1-800-661-0408, extension 5111.