Make changes to an insurer licence

  1. When to make changes to an insurer licence
  2. Complete the appropriate process
  3. Submit the required forms and documentation

  1. When to make changes to an insurer licence

    All insurers doing business in the Yukon must hold a valid licence and renew it every year.

    Insurers must make changes to their current licence or update our office if:

    • the insurer’s business name has changed or the insurer wants to add or remove what insurance classes it offers;

    • the insurer wants to change its power of attorney; or

    • the insurer has changed its act, constitution, bylaws or regulations.


  2. Complete the appropriate process

    Add or remove a class of insurance, or update an insurer business name

    Before applying for a Yukon licence

    An insurer must:

    • change its licence with its incorporating regulator;

    • get proof of the incorporating regulator’s approval of changes; and

    • include this documentation with the application to change the Yukon licence.

    Apply to change the insurer licence for the Yukon

    • Go to the Canadian Council of Insurance Regulators (CCIR) website and download the insurer licence application form.

    • Don't complete the entire application. Complete only the sections that apply to making a change.

    • The CCIR form may need other documentation. If so, make sure to include this with your application to the Government of Yukon.

    Yukon classes of insurance

    • accident and sickness
    • aircraft
    • automobile
    • boiler and machinery
    • credit
    • fidelity
    • hail
    • legal expense
    • liability
    • life
    • marine
    • mortgage
    • property
    • surety
    • title

    Update a power of attorney

    • Go to the CCCIR website to download Appendix 3, Power of Attorney.

    • Follow the instructions on the appendix form.

    • Complete the affidavit of execution and have a notary public witness and sign.

    Update an insurer's act, constitution, bylaws or regulations

    Provide a certified copy of any change to the company’s act, constitution, bylaws or regulations to our office within 30 days of the change.

    A certified copy is a copy of the original document endorsed by a notary public.


  3. Submit the required forms and documentation

    Gather your completed forms and supporting documents and submit your application.

    In person or by courier: 307 Black Street, Whitehorse Y1A 2N1. We're open Monday through Friday from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.

    Government of Yukon
    Professional Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (C-5)
    Box 2703
    Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6


For questions about making changes to an insurer licence, email or phone 867-667-5111, toll free in the Yukon 1-800-661-0408, extension 5111.