Find where to get help to escape a violent situation

  1. Find a Yukon emergency contact number
  2. File a protective court order
  3. Find financial assistance options
  4. Update your personal information and accounts
  1. Find a Yukon emergency contact number

    Yukon emergency contact numbers

    RCMP: 911
    Call VictimLINK 24 hours: 1-800-563-0808
    Whitehorse Victim Services. Call Monday to Friday between 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. 867-667-8500 or toll-free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408, ext. 8500
    Dawson City Victim Services: 867-993-5831
    Watson Lake Victim Services:867-536-2541

    Transition homes

    Yukon Women's Transition Home Society (Kaushee’s Place) in Whitehorse: Call 867-668-5733
    Dawson City Women’s Shelter: Call 867-993-5086
    Watson Lake Transition Home: Call 867-536-7233

    Counseling and support services in Whitehorse

    Child and Adolescent Therapeutic Services: Call 867-667-8227
    Family and Children’s Services: Call 867-667-3002
    Victim Services: Call 867-667-8500 or toll-free 1-800-661-0408, ext. 8500
    Les EssentiELLEs (French service): Call 867-668-2636
    Mental Wellness and Substance Use Services: Call 867-456-3838 or toll-free 1-866-456-3838
    Skookum Jim Friendship Centre: Call 867-633-7680
    Adult community services: Call 867-667-5674
    Many Rivers Counseling and Support Services: Call 867-667-2970
    Government of Yukon's Employee Assistance Program: Call 867-668-3327
    Women’s Advocate (Women’s Centre): Call 867-667-2693

    Legal assistance

    Law Line Whitehorse: Call 867-668-5297 or toll free 1-866-667-4305
    Lawyer referral service: Call 867-668-4231
    Yukon Legal Aid: 867-667-5210 or toll free 1-800-661-0408, ext. 5210

  2. File a protective court order

    File a protective court order

    Contact Victim Services to find out about protective court orders. Their staff will help you determine what type of court order you need and help you file it.

    Additional safety measures

    Change your locks

    • Home owners: Contact a locksmith in your area. This will cost around $50 for a house call and $9 per door and $3 per key.
    • Renters: Contact your landlord. In some cases they will cover costs of security features like deadbolts and peepholes.

    Report concerns about firearms

    Contact the RCMP if you're concerned your partner has a firearm or firearm licence. You can also record a 'spousal concern' if your partner applies for or has a firearms licence. Call 1-800-731-4000.

  3. Find financial assistance options

    Apply for child care financial assistance

    Apply for a child care subsidy. There are provisions for emergency situations.

    Find income support services

    Find out if you are eligible for social housing

  4. Update your personal information and accounts

    Update your personal information

    • Get a new phone number. Contact your service provider to get a new mobile phone number or Northwestel (1-888-423-2333) to change your landline number.
    • Change your mailing address. Contact Canada Post.
    • Update or replace your Yukon health care card with Health and Social Services.
    • Apply for a marital status change after 90 days of separation. Contact the Canada Revenue Agency at 1-800-387-1193.
    • Update your banking information.
      • Set up your own bank account. You can do this on most bank websites or you can make an appointment to do it in person.

    Update your online accounts

    • Change the passwords of all your personal online accounts, including email, social media, banking, device log-ins, etc. Choose something your (ex) partner won't be able to guess. Print and save threatening or harassing emails, online posts, texts and voicemails. These can be used as evidence of abuse.
    • Delete your internet browser history. This will prevent the abuser from seeing information you've viewed. Be aware that there is a risk involved in removing data from your computer as your partner may notice that the browser history has been cleared or that previously save passwords have been deleted.