- Apply for Yukon Health Care Insurance
- Appeal process
- Request to get health coverage for medical services that aren't included under the Yukon Health Insurance Plan
- Health care cards: renewal, lost, or changes to information
If you're a Yukon resident, you can apply to the Yukon Health Care Insurance Plan to get health care in the territory. If you're new to the Yukon, once you've been a resident for 3 months you're eligible for insured health services.
To be eligible for the Yukon Health Insurance Plan you must:
- be a Canadian citizen or have immigration status;
- make your permanent home in the Yukon; and
- be physically present in the Yukon and not absent for more than 6 months without a waiver from Insured Health Services.
Can I apply for Yukon Health Insurance Plan if I'm on a work visa?
You can apply for Yukon Health Insurance Plan if you're on a work visa for a minimum of 1 year.
Can I apply for Yukon Health Insurance Plan if I'm on a study visa?
You cannot apply to the Yukon Health Insurance Plan if you're on a study visa.
Apply for Yukon Health Care Insurance
To register for Yukon Health Insurance Plan you'll need to bring photocopies of:
- a Canadian birth certificate;
- a Canadian citizenship card, permanent resident status card; plus
- a secondary piece of ID for all people listed.
Proof of residency
You must prove your residency when applying for Yukon Health Care Insurance. You can use the following as proof:
- utility bills;
- plane ticket to the Yukon;
- pay stubs;
- bills in your name from Yukon businesses;
- rental agreement or receipts in your name; or
- a letter from your employer.
Where to register
You must register in person with the Government of Yukon to receive Yukon Health Care Insurance.
In Whitehorse: 4th floor, 204 Lambert Street
In rural communities, application forms are available at all territorial agents.
To appeal a denial of your application for Yukon Health Care Insurance you must submit a request of appeal written by you or your doctor. It should include a detailed account of your patient history and current situation.
In response to your letter, the Government of Yukon:
- can request a review by Yukon’s medical advisor;
- can review and assess service options used nationally on the subject matter including requesting a review of medical evidence and reports through the Canadian Agency for Drugs and Technologies in Health; and
- provide a letter of finding to you or your physician.
If the government findings do not support your application:
- you may appeal for reconsideration in writing to the director of Insured Health and Hearing Services, as directed by Section 5 of the Yukon Health Care Insurance Plan Act.
Request to get health coverage for medical services that aren't included under the Yukon Health Insurance Plan
You can request health insurance coverage for medical services that are not covered under the territorial health care plan.
Prepare your request
- Work with your physician to write a detailed letter that outlines the issue and the case history.
- Include any correspondence from or to yourself and your physician about the medical condition and the service being requested.
- Submit your request.
In person: 4th floor, Financial Plaza, 204 Lambert Street, Whitehorse. Our office is open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Government of Yukon
Health Care Insurance Plan (H-2)
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6
The manager of registration and claims will work with assessors to see what Yukon case history is applicable to the request. The manager and assessors will consult with Yukon’s medical advisor who:
- will talk with medical advisors from across Canada to see if the procedure is insured elsewhere in the country;
- will see if there is new medical evidence to support a decision to insure the service being requested; and
- may take the case to the biannual national meeting of medical advisors for deliberation.
Based on the information gathered, the manager of registration and claims will give you and your physician a written response to your request.
What happens if your request is declined?
You can submit an appeal if your service request is declined.
- Request a review by the director of Insured Health and Hearing Services, under Section 5 of the Yukon Health Care Insurance Plan Act.
- The director will review all materials provided.
- The director may request that the medical advisor do more jurisdictional analysis and medical research.
- The director may research additional sources of information such as the Canadian Agency for Drugs and Technologies in Health .
- The director will contact you and your physician to let you know the decision within 30 working days after you submitted your appeal.
Health care cards: renewal, lost, or changes to information
Your health care card renews yearly on your birthday. You'll receive a renewal notice in the mail.
Lost health care card or changes to information
Phone 867-667-5209, toll free 1-800-661-0408, or email email@example.com if you:
- lose your card, and a need a new card; or
- need to report changes, such as name change, a change of address, a dependent leaving home.
For questions about the Yukon health care card, email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 867-667-5209 or toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408, extension 5209.