- Determine if you are eligible
- Complete the application form
- Provide all other supporting documents required
- Pay your fees
- Submit your application, supporting documents and fees
Determine if you are eligible
All funeral directors in Yukon must be registered and hold an active licence.
We accept new applications on an ongoing basis. But you must renew your licence every year. All funeral director licences expire annually on March 31.
You are eligible to apply for registration and a licence if you meet 1 of the following sets of requirements.
- You attended a recognized mortuary science school in a Canadian province for at least 2 full terms, passed with an average of 60%, and complete steps 2 to 5 of this application process.
- You are eligible to practice as an embalmer and a funeral director in a Canadian province and complete steps 2 to 5 of this application process.
Complete the application form
Provide all other supporting documents required
You must also provide the following with your application.
- Copies of 2 pieces of current ID, issued by a territorial, provincial or federal government body showing your current legal name.
- At least 1 of the 2 pieces must be photo ID.
- We do not accept a Yukon healthcare card as a form of ID.
- A copy of your transcript sent directly to Professional Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (PLRA) from your recognized mortuary science school.
- The school will send the transcript directly to PLRA.
- We do not accept transcripts submitted by applicants.
- Certificate of standing in another Canadian jurisdiction.
- Request this certificate if you are registered to practice in another jurisdiction.
- The regulatory body will send the certificate directly to PLRA.
- We do not accept certificates of standing submitted by applicants.
- If you plan to offer prepaid or prearranged funerals, provide proof of bonding in the amount of $100,000.
- If you plan to offer prepaid or prearranged funerals, provide proof of a trust account at a certified bank located in Yukon.
Pay your fees
- One-time registration: $100
- Annual licence: $50
You can pay your fees by cheque or credit card. Complete the payment information form and include this and your fees with your application.
Submit your application, supporting documents and fees
Submit your entire application package. This must include:
- your completed application form;
- all supporting documents; and
- your payment form and fees.
We typically process applications within 10 business days. We will confirm you have met all legal requirements before issuing a licence. We may return your application if you have not provided all the required documentation.
Submit your application package
- In person or by courier at 307 Black Street, Whitehorse Y1A 2N1. We are open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m to 4:30 p.m.
- Email: email@example.com
- Fax: 867-667-3609
Government of Yukon
Professional Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (C-5)
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6
For questions about the application process email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 867-667-5111 or toll free in Yukon: 1-800-661-0408, ext. 5111.