- Determine if you are eligible
- Complete the application form
- Provide all other supporting documents required
- Pay your fees
- Submit your application, supporting documents and fee
Determine if you are eligible
All optometrists working in Yukon must be registered in the territory and hold an active licence to practice.
Apply for registration and a licence if you are planning to use the title of doctor of optometry and work to the full extent of your training within Yukon regulations.
We accept new optometrist applications on an ongoing basis. You only need to apply for registration once, but you must renewal your licence every year. All optometrist licences expire annually on March 31.
You are eligible to register and apply for a licence if you meet one of the following sets of requirements.
- You have graduated from an accredited school of optometry or you completed the International Optometric Bridging Program; and you successfully completed the Optometry Examining Board of Canada exam in the 2 years before this application.
- You hold a current optometrist licence in another Canadian jurisdiction and are in good standing in that jurisdiction.
If you have had any complaints, disciplinary or criminal action against you, you may not be approved for registration or licensing in Yukon.
Complete the application form
Complete all sections of the application form. Do not leave a section blank. You may enter “not applicable” when it is relevant. We may return incomplete applications.
Make sure to mark on the top of the application form whether you are a Yukon resident or a non-resident.
If you wish to prescribe and dispense therapeutic pharmaceutical agents (TPAs), make sure to complete the relevant section on the form.
Provide all other supporting documents required
Copies of 2 pieces of current ID
- These must be issued by a territorial, provincial or federal government body.
- Both pieces must show your current legal name.
- At least 1 of the 2 pieces must be photo ID.
- We do not accept a Yukon healthcare card as a form of ID.
Certificate of standing in another Canadian jurisdiction
- Request a certificate of standing if you are registered to practice in another jurisdiction.
- Have the regulatory body send the certificate of standing directly to Professional Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (PLRA).
- We do not accept certificates of standing submitted by applicants.
An official transcript confirming graduation from an accredited school of optometry or proof of completion of the International Optometric Bridging Program.
- Required for applicants who are not registered in another jurisdiction.
- Have the school send the transcripts directly to PLRA.
Proof you have passed the Optometry Examining Board of Canada exam
- Only applicants not registered in another Canadian jurisdiction need to provide this.
Proof of diagnostic pharmaceutical agent certification
- Only applicants who wish to be Therapeutic Pharmaceutical Agent (TPA) certified need to provide this.
- Provide this from an accredited school of optometry.
Proof of CPR
- Only applicants who wish to be TPA-certified need to provide this.
Pay your fees
Pay these fees if you will practice in Yukon for 3 months or less in a licensing year.
Registration (one-time fee): $50
Annual licence fee: $50
Pay these fees if you will practice in Yukon for more than 3 months in a licensing year.
Registration (one-time fee): $400
Annual licence fee: $200
You can pay your fees by cheque or credit card. Complete the payment information form and include this and your fees with your application.
Submit your application, supporting documents and fee
Submit your entire application package. This must include:
- your completed application form;
- all supporting documents; and
- your payment form and fees.
We typically process applications within 10 business days. We will confirm you have met all legal requirements before issuing a certificate. We may return your application if you have not provided all the required documentation.
Submit your application package:
- In person or by courier at 307 Black Street, Whitehorse Y1A 2N1. We are open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m to 4:30 p.m.
- Email: email@example.com
- Fax: 867-667-3609
Government of Yukon
Professional Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (C-5)
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6
For questions about applying for an optometrist licence email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone: 867-667-5111 or toll free in Yukon: 1-800-661-0408 ext. 5111.