Apply for a physiotherapist interim certificate

  1. Determine if you're eligible
  2. Complete the application form
  3. Provide all other supporting documents required
  4. Pay your fees
  5. Submit your complete application package

  1. Determine if you're eligible

    All physiotherapists in Yukon must register and hold a certificate.

    Apply for registration and a physiotherapist interim certificate if you have not completed the clinical component of the Physiotherapy Competency Exam (PCE). An interim certificate will allow you to work under supervision and use the title of interim physiotherapist.

    We accept and process new physiotherapist interim applications on an ongoing basis. You can renew a physiotherapist certificate once before you must apply for a full certificate. All physiotherapist certificates expire annually on January 31.


    You're eligible to apply for an interim certificate if you meet all of the following requirements.

    • You've graduated from an approved physiotherapy program.
    • You've registered for the clinical component of the Physiotherapy Competency Exam (PCE).
    • You have a supervisor who holds a full certificate in Yukon.
    • You have not renewed an interim certificate more than once.

    International graduates are not eligible for an interim certificate. You must first hold a full certificate in a Canadian province.

    If you’ve had any complaints, disciplinary or criminal action against you:

    • we will assess your eligibility for registration or licensure on a case-by-case basis; and
    • you may not be approved for registration or licensing.

  2. Complete the application form

    Download the application form.

    Complete all sections of the form. Do not leave a section blank. If a section is not relevant, mark the section as “not applicable.” We may return incomplete applications.

  3. Provide all other supporting documents required

    You must also provide the following with you application package.

    Current photo ID

    • Provide 1 copy of a piece of photo ID.
    • The ID must be issued by a territorial, provincial or federal government body.
    • The ID must show your current legal name.
    • We do not accept a healthcare card as a form of ID.

    Certificate(s) of standing

    We require this from all licence applicants.

    A certificate of standing is an official document that includes:

    • your certification history;
    • your registration and licensing history;
    • any limits and restrictions on your licence; and
    • any disciplinary action against you.

    Ask the regulatory body of each jurisdiction you practice in to provide a certificate.

    • You must provide a certificate for each jurisdiction.
    • Each certificate must be dated no more than 90 days before your application.
    • Have the regulatory body send the certificate(s) directly to Professional Licensing and Regulatory Affairs.
    • We do not accept certificates of standing submitted by applicants.

    Official transcript

    • Provide an official transcript confirming graduation from a physiotherapy program.
    • Have the school send the transcripts directly to PLRA.
    • We do not accept transcripts submitted by applicants.

    Physiotherapy Competency Examination (PCE) documentation 

    • Provide proof you have completed the PCE written component and that you have registered for the PCE clinical component.

    Proof of liability insurance

    • Provide a copy of your liability insurance.
    • Your insurance must be for a minimum of $1,000,000. 

    Letter from your Yukon supervisor

    • Provide a letter from your supervisor that confirms you will be supervised while working in the territory as an interim physiotherapist.

    • In the letter, your supervisor must confirm that:

      • they hold a full physiotherapist certificate in Yukon; and 

      • they agree to supervise you while you hold an interim certificate.

  4. Pay your fees


    Interim certificate registration fee (one-time fee): $40.

    Interim certificate annual fee: $200.

    How to pay

    You can pay by:

    • cheque;
    • credit card;
    • cash; or
    • debit.


    • Complete the payment information form.
    • Provide a cheque in the appropriate amount made out to the Government of Yukon.
    • After we issue your licence, we'll cash your cheque.

    Credit card

    • Complete the payment information form.
    • If you submit your application in person, by courier or mail, you may include your credit card info on your payment information form.
    • If you submit your application by email or fax, do not include your credit card information on your form. We'll contact you for your credit card info.
    • After we issue your licence, we'll take payment.

    Cash or debit

    • You can only pay by cash or debit if you can pay in person at our office in Whitehorse.
    • Complete the payment information form.
    • We'll hold your licence at our office after we issue it.
    • We'll take payment by cash or debit when you pick it up.

  5. Submit your complete application package

    Prepare your application package

    Your complete application package must include:

    • your completed application form;
    • all supporting documents; and
    • your payment form.

    We typically process applications within 10 business days. We'll confirm you've met all legal requirements before issuing a licence. We may return your application if you’ve not provided all the required documentation.

    How to submit

    • In person or by courier at 307 Black Street, Whitehorse Y1A 2N1. We're open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
    • Email:
    • Fax: 867-667-3609
    • Mail:
      Government of Yukon
      Professional Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (C-5)
      Box 2703
      Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6


For questions about applying for a physiotherapist interim certificate, email, or phone 867-667-5111, toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408, extension 5111.