Apply for a registered psychiatric nurse inactive certificate

  1. Determine if you are eligible
  2. Complete the application form
  3. Provide all other supporting documents required
  4. Pay your fees
  1. Determine if you are eligible

    All psychiatric nurses in Yukon must be registered and hold a certificate.

    Apply for an inactive certificate if you wish to maintain your standing as a registered psychiatric nurse (RPN) in Yukon, but will not be actively practicing.

    We accept and process applications for new inactive certificates on an ongoing basis. However, you must renew your inactive certificate every year. All RPN certificates expire annually on January 31.


    You are eligible to apply for an inactive certificate if you meet the following requirements.

    • You currently hold a RPN full certificate in Yukon.
    • You complete steps 2 to 5 of this application process.
  2. Complete the application form

    Complete all sections of the application form. Do not leave a section blank. If a section is not relevant, mark the section as “not applicable.” We may return incomplete applications.

  3. Provide all other supporting documents required

    You must also provide the following with your application.

    • Certificate of standing in another Canadian jurisdiction
      • Request a certificate of standing if you are registered to practice in another jurisdiction.
      • The regulatory body will send the certificate of standing directly to Professional Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (PLRA).
      • We do not accept certificates of standing submitted by applicants.
    • Criminal record check, including vulnerable sector check.
      • You must have a new criminal record check done every 5 years.
      • Visit your local RCMP detachment to request the record check.
      • If you live in Yukon, the RCMP will send your results directly to PLRA.
      • If you receive the results, please forward them to PLRA with your application.
  4. Pay your fees

    Submit your entire application package. This must include:

    • your completed application form;
    • all supporting documents; and
    • your payment form and fees.

    We typically process applications within 10 business days. We will confirm you have met all legal requirements before issuing a certificate. We may return your application if you have not provided all the required documentation.

    Submit your application package:

    • In person or by courier at 307 Black Street, Whitehorse Y1A 2N1. We are open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m to 4:30 p.m.
    • Email:
    • Fax: 867-667-3609
    • Mail:
      Government of Yukon
      Professional Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (C-5)
      Box 2703
      Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6


For questions about the application process, email or phone: 867-667-5111 or toll free in Yukon: 1-800-661-0408 ext. 5111.