- Determine if you are eligible
- Complete the renewal application form
- Provide proof of continuing competency requirements
- Provide all other supporting documents required
- Pay your fees
- Submit your application, supporting documents and fee
Determine if you are eligible
All optometrists in Yukon must be registered, hold a licence and renew it every year.
An optometrist licence allows you to use the title doctor of optometry and work to the full extent of your training and Yukon regulations.
All optometrist licences expire annually on March 31. Submit your renewal application before March 1. This will ensure we can process your application before your licence expires.
It is illegal to work in the new licence year before we have processed your application.
You are eligible to renew your optometrist licence if you meet all of the following requirements.
- You are registered and hold a current licence in Yukon as an optometrist.
- You have met the continuing education requirements.
- You complete steps 2 to 6 of this renewal application process.
Complete the renewal application form
Provide proof of continuing competency requirements
Read the continuing education guide for full instructions, details and examples.
Continuing education requirements
You must have completed the following in the past year.
- 12 hours of continuing professional education
- 6 of these 12 hours must be in treating and managing ocular disease.
Forms and documentation required
You must provide the following forms and documentation with your application. We may return applications that are missing required documentation.
Annual continuing education form
- This form helps us validate your continuing education hours.
- Complete and submit this form for the past year.
Continuing education supporting documents
- Provide a supporting document for every continuing education activity you are claiming.
- Documentation must include:
- your name;
- proof of the number of hours you completed; and
- date you completed the hours.
If you do not have a document with this information, then you may complete the verification of completed continuing education form. Complete this form with either the course provider or instructor, or your supervisor, if applicable.
Continuing competency exemption request form
Meeting your continuing competencies is a legal requirement. We review exemption requests on a case-by-case basis and do not accept all requests.
Provide all other supporting documents required
You may also need to provide the following with your application.
Proof of current CPR certification
- Provide this if you are applying for or want to renew your Therapeutic Pharmaceutical Agent (TPA) certification.
Proof of diagnostic pharmaceutical agent certification.
- Only provide this if you are applying to be TPA certified for the first time.
- Provide this from an accredited school of optometry.
Pay your fees
Pay this fee if you will practice in Yukon for 3 months or less in a licensing year.
Annual licence fee: $50
Pay this fee if you will practice in Yukon for more than 3 months in a licensing year.
Annual licence fee: $200
You can pay your fees by cheque or credit card. Complete the payment information form and include this and your fees with your application.
Submit your application, supporting documents and fee
Submit your entire application package. This must include:
- your completed application form;
- all supporting documents; and
- your payment form and fees.
We typically process renewal applications within 30 business days. We will confirm you have met all legal requirements before issuing a renewed licence. We may return your application if you have not provided all the required documentation.
Submit your application package:
- In person or by courier at 307 Black Street, Whitehorse Y1A 2N1. We are open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m to 4:30 p.m.
- Email: email@example.com
- Fax: 867-667-3609
Government of Yukon
Professional Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (C-5)
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6
For questions about the renewing an optometrist licence, email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone: 867-667-5111 or toll free in Yukon: 1-800-661-0408 ext. 5111.