New online licensing system coming soon

We're moving to an online licensing system to make the renewal process more efficient and move away from paper forms.

We ask you not to renew until the new system is in place. We'll email registrants when the new system is launched and support you through the process.

Renew a registered psychiatric nurse interim certificate

  1. Determine if you're eligible
  2. Complete the renewal application
  3. Provide all other supporting documents required
  4. Pay your fees
  5. Submit your complete renewal application package

  1. Determine if you're eligible

    All psychiatric nurses in Yukon who have not taken the Registered Psychiatric Nurse of Canada Examination (RPNCE) must register and hold a valid interim certificate.

    This certificate allows you to work under supervision and use the title of interim registered psychiatric nurse.

    Renewal period

    You can only renew an interim certificate once. After 1 renewal, you must apply for a RPN full certificate.

    All RPN certificates expire annually on January 31. Submit your renewal application before December 15. This ensures we can process your renewal application before it expires. 

    It's illegal to work in the new licence year before we’ve renewed your certificate.

    Applicants who have not renewed by March 31, must apply for reinstatement and pay all applicable fees.


    You're eligible to renew a RPN interim certificate if you meet all of the following requirements.

    • You hold a current RPN interim certificate in Yukon.
    • You have registered to write the RPNCE.
    • You have not previously renewed your interim certificate.

    If you’ve had any complaints, disciplinary or criminal action against you, please note:

    • we will assess your eligibility for registration or licensure on a case-by-case basis; and
    • you may not be approved for registration or licensing.

  2. Complete the renewal application

    Please see note at the top of the page about our new online licensing system coming soon.

  3. Provide all other supporting documents required

    You must also provide the following with your application.

    Confirmation of exam registration

    • You must provide a copy of your confirmation of registration for the RPNCE.

    Certificate(s) of standing

    You must provide a certificate of standing if you're registered to practice in another Canadian jurisdiction.

    A certificate of standing is an official document that includes:

    • your registration and licensing history;
    • any limits and restrictions on your licence; and
    • any complaints or disciplinary action against you.

    Ask the regulatory body of each jurisdiction you're licensed in to provide a certificate.

    • You must provide a certificate for each jurisdiction.
    • Each certificate must be dated no more than 90 days before your application.
    • Have the regulatory body send the certificate(s) directly to Professional Licensing and Regulatory Affairs.
    • We do not accept certificates of standing submitted by applicants.

    Criminal record check

    • You must have a new criminal record check done every 5 years.
    • Visit your local RCMP detachment or police to request these. 
    • The RCMP or police must complete the check no more than 90 days before you submit your application.
    • Ask the RCMP to:
      • send the results to your mailing address; or
      • make the results available for you to pick up.
    • Make sure to then submit the results with your complete application package.

  4. Pay your fees


    Annual interim certificate renewal fee: $200.

    Late fee: $40 (for applications processed between February 1 and March 31).

    After March 31, applicants must apply for reinstatement and pay all applicable fees.

    How to pay

    You can pay by:

    • cheque;
    • credit card;
    • cash; or
    • debit.


    • Complete the payment information form.
    • Provide a cheque in the appropriate amount made out to the Government of Yukon.
    • After we issue your licence, we'll cash your cheque.

    Credit card

    • Complete the payment information form.
    • If you submit your application in person, by courier or mail, you may include your credit card info on your payment information form.
    • If you submit your application by email or fax, do not include your credit card information on your form. We'll contact you for your credit card info.
    • After we issue your licence, we'll take payment.

    Cash or debit

    • You can only pay by cash or debit if you can pay in person at our office in Whitehorse.
    • Complete the payment information form.
    • We'll hold your licence at our office after we issue it.
    • We'll take payment by cash or debit when you pick it up.

  5. Submit your complete renewal application package

    Prepare your renewal application package

    Your complete application package must include:

    • your completed application form;
    • all supporting documents; and
    • your payment form.

    We typically process applications within 30 business days. We'll confirm you've met all legal requirements before issuing a licence. We may return your application if you’ve not provided all the required documentation.

    How to submit

    • In person or by courier at 307 Black Street, Whitehorse Y1A 2N1. We're open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
    • Email:
    • Fax: 867-667-3609
    • Mail:
      Government of Yukon
      Professional Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (C-5)
      Box 2703
      Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6


For questions about renewing your certificate email or phone 867-667-5111, toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408 extension 5111.