Get a solid waste management permit

What is solid waste?

Solid waste includes waste from residential, commercial, industrial or other human-related activities or sources. Examples include typical household and commercial garbage, and waste from building demolition and construction. Solid waste creates significant pressure on the environment.

The Yukon’s Solid Waste Regulations set standards for building and operating community landfills, commercial dumps, and for managing waste in the territory.

Do you need a solid waste management permit?

You need a permit to:

  • operate waste disposal facilities that dispose of or manage solid waste generated by the public;
  • operate commercial dumps that dispose of solid waste generated by commercial activities or are operated commercially;
  • open burn or incinerate solid waste if it's over 5 kg per day; and
  • dispose waste on-site associated with use of a mobile abattoir.

Apply for a solid waste management permit

1. Complete the appropriate permit application:

2. Submit your application.

  • Email:
  • In person: at the Department of Environment office at 10 Burns Road in Whitehorse. We are open Monday to Friday from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.
  • Mail:
    Environmental Protection and Assessment
    Government of Yukon 
    Box 2703 (V-8)
    Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6

After getting your permit

You must follow the conditions listed under your permit. 

For commercial activity, mining activity or other industrial activities, consult the guidance document on requirements for commercial dumps. 

For municipal or community activities, consult the guidance document on requirements for public waste disposal facilities.

If you need to install electric fencing, read our guide.

See these factsheets if you need to dispose of the following: