Convert your oil and gas permit to a lease

An oil and gas lease grants exclusive rights to recover oil and gas.

Location of the lease

We only issue leases for areas with proven productive zones. Generally, the minimum area of a lease is 1 spacing area. Leases extend down to the base of the deepest productive zone in each spacing area.

The length of term for a lease

The first term of an oil and gas lease is 10 years. You may renew your lease in 5-year terms.


Your company can apply for an oil and gas lease if it has an oil and gas permit.

Your company must be:

  • a corporation that's incorporated, continued, or registered under the territorial Business Corporations Act;
  • incorporated or continued under the federal Bank Act;
  • licensed under the territorial Insurance Act; or
  • approved by us as a corporation that may hold a permit.

Understand the process

Read our guidelines to understand:

  • information to gather before applying;
  • application submission requirements; and
  • how to complete the application form.

Timing of your application

You can submit your application anytime during the term of your oil and gas permit. You should allow at least 60 days for the processing of your application. If you do not apply before the end your permit, we decide the location of the lease and issue it.

Apply for a licence

  1. Complete the application form.
  2. Complete an oil and gas transmittal letter.
  3. Include all submission requirements outlined in our guidelines.
  4. Include an application fee of $500.
  5. Include the rental fee for the upcoming year. The rental fee is $5 per hectare. Calculate your fee to the nearest 0.1 hectare.
  6. Submit your application.
    In person: We're located at 400 211 Main Street, in Whitehorse, Yukon. Our office is open Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
    Government of Yukon
    Geothermal and Petroleum Resources Branch (K-11)
    Box 2703
    Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6