Apply for a licence to explore for oil and gas

In the Yukon, you need a geoscience exploration licence to explore for oil and gas. This includes the surface and subsurface of the earth.

Operations requiring a geoscience exploration licence

Geological operations

  • Geological mapping
  • Aerial survey
  • Geotechnical survey
  • Ground penetrating survey

Geophysical operations

  • Seismic survey
  • Magnetic survey
  • Gravimetric survey
  • Electromagnetic survey

Test hole operations

  • Test hole construction


You do not need to hold an oil and gas disposition to get a geoscience exploration licence.

To hold a licence, you or your business must be:

  • a corporation that's incorporated, continued, or registered under the territorial Business Corporations Act;
  • incorporated or continued under the federal Bank Act;
  • licensed under the territorial Insurance Act; or
  • approved by us to hold a licence.

Understand the process

Read our guidelines for information about:

  • application submission requirements;
  • other permits and licences you may need;
  • First Nation consultation;
  • the environment and socioeconomic assessment process;
  • benefit agreements; and
  • how to complete the application form.

Discuss your plans with us

We recommend you discuss your project with us before you apply. We can provide you with guidance on our application requirements. Phone 867-667-5026 or email [email protected].

Timing of your application

You must submit your application at least 30 days before beginning the operation. This timeline could be much longer if your operation requires an environmental and socioeconomic assessment. We can discuss timing when you contact us before applying.

Apply for a licence

  1. Complete the application form.
  2. Include all submission requirements outlined in our guidelines.
  3. Include the appropriate application fee:
    • $300 for geological operations; or
    • $500 for geophysical operations or test hole operations.
  4. Email your application to [email protected].
  5. We prefer you email your application, but you can mail your application as well. If doing so, send 2 copies.
    Government of Yukon
    Geothermal and Petroleum Resources Branch (K-11)
    Box 2703
    Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6