Get occupational therapy or physiotherapy for your disabled child

What we offer

If your child has a disability, we can help you access occupational therapy or physiotherapy.

Are you eligible to access our services?

You're eligible if:

  • you're a Yukon resident;
  • your child is under 19 years of age;
  • your child has a chronic developmental, physical, sensory, cognitive or neurological impairment that significantly limits their ability to function in daily life;
  • you have a report or assessment from a qualified health care practitioner, including:
    • a diagnosis (or provisional diagnosis);
    • the severity of the disability;
    • the functional impacts; and
    • a prognosis, if known; and
  • you have accessed other resources, such as private insurance or employee benefits.

Where are our services available?

Children’s Disability Services are available in all Yukon communities.

How do you access our services?

  1. You or someone working with your child, such as a doctor or teacher, can make a referral with your permission.
  2. To help determine eligibility, you (or the person referring) must provide the child's:
    • full name;
    • date of birth;
    • type of disability (if known);
    • caregiver names; and
    • relevant reports.
  3. A social worker arranges a meeting to discuss your family’s needs. Visits can take place at your home, the Children’s Disability Services office, or elsewhere.
  4. This initial meeting lasts about 1 hour. During the meeting, the social worker will:
    • gather information about your child’s needs;
    • review consent and confidentiality forms;
    • discuss alternate supports and services; and
    • share information on the supports and services we offer.
  5. A follow-up meeting may be needed.
  6. We'll also need a report or assessment. This will identify how your child’s disability significantly limits their ability to function in daily life.
  7. The social worker will contact you to follow up.
  8. If your child and family are eligible, it may take 4 to 6 weeks to set up the funding.

What is Children’s Disability Services?

If your child has a disability, Children’s Disability Services can help you care for them. It’s important to get help early as this will increase your child’s lifelong learning potential.

We promote inclusion of children with disabilities in community life. Our social workers help families access the services they need. These services include:

  • an inclusion worker;
  • respite care for families;
  • a behaviour consultant and applied behaviour analysis therapy;
  • occupational therapy and physical therapy; and
  • speech-language pathology (therapy).

Other services available for children with disabilities in Yukon


To make a referral or ask questions about our programs, phone 867-393-7464, toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408, extension 7464. Our office is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.

In person: 49B Waterfront Place in Whitehorse

Fax: 867-667-7553

Government of Yukon
Children's Disability Services, H–11B
Box 2703
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6