Find out which medical travel costs our health plan covers

We cover the cost of travel for medical emergencies. We also cover travel for non-emergency services necessary for your wellbeing that is not available in your community. Coverage includes transportation from your home to the nearest centre where you can access the service you need.

Who is eligible?

To be eligible, you must:

  • be registered with the Yukon Health Care Insurance Plan;
  • start your travel in Yukon;
  • have your application submitted by a Yukon medical practitioner – this includes doctors and nurse practitioners in communities with no resident doctor; and
  • have the Chief Medical Officer of Health's approval, if you’re travelling out of territory.

People covered through other acts or programs are not eligible

Depending on your situation, you may be covered by other acts or programs. For example, if you're:

  • a psychiatric patient, you're covered under the  Mental Health Act;
  • injured or become ill at work, you'd deal with the Yukon Workers’ Compensation Health and Safety Board.

You may be covered under another program if you meet the following criteria, or if you're the spouse or dependent of a person who:

  • has status under the Indian Act;
  • is a member of the Canadian Armed Forces or the RCMP; or
  • is a federal government employee.

What expenses are not eligible?

We do not cover the cost of air or ground ambulance services outside Yukon. We also do not cover the cost of any related services, such as:

  • hospital transfers;
  • escorts; and
  • return transportation charges.

We recommend that you purchase additional insurance when travelling outside Yukon.

Exception for certain travel escorts

If your medical practitioner says you need an escort, then we'll cover their travel costs. You may need an escort if you:

  • are physically dependent on others;
  • have diminished mental capacity;
  • are under 19; or
  • are not healthy enough to travel alone.

If your child is terminally or critically ill child

Travel costs for both parents may be covered. Contact us to learn more. Phone 867-667-5203.

What does the program offer?

We cover in-territory travel for assessment and treatment in Whitehorse by:

  • Hearing Services;
  • Mental Wellness and Substance Use Services;
  • Child Development Services; and
  • the Therapy Services Unit in the Thomson Centre.

We also provide a subsidy if you are not admitted to a facility, but need to travel for out-patient services:

  • you may receive $75 per day reimbursement after the 2nd day of receiving out-patient services, to a maximum of 90 days;
  • all claims over 90 days must be approved by the director of Insured Services; and
  • we can provide a subsidy for up to 364 days with the director's advance approval.

Use this form to apply for a subsidy to help to cover costs for medical travel outside of Yukon.


If you have questions, email or phone 867-667-5203, 867-667-5233, or toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408, extension 5203.

In person: 4th Floor of the Financial Plaza, 204 Lambert Street in Whitehorse. Our office is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Fax: 867-393-6486

Government of Yukon
Medical Treatment Travel (H–2)
Box 2703
​Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6​