Get someone to help you make decisions

  • What is a supported decision-making agreement
  • What does an associate do?
  • How to make a supported decision-making agreement
  • Cancel an agreement

You can make an agreement with someone to get their help to make decisions. This is a supported decision-making agreement.

  1. What is a supported decision-making agreement

    In a supported decision-making agreement, your support person is called your associate. They help you to make decisions. An associate does not make decisions for you. This is set out in the Adult Protection and Decision-making Act.

    Why would you need an agreement?

    The agreement recognizes your associate. You'll have a piece of paper that says that you want your associate to help you make decisions. This agreement also allows your associate to go to appointments and meetings with you to listen and support you.

    Who can sign an agreement?

    You must be:

    • 19 years of age or older;
    • able to understand what you've written and what it'll mean to your life.

    What to include in your agreement

    • The reasons you want an associate to help you.
    • The name 1 or more associates to help you make decisions.
    • The types of decisions that you want your associate to help you with.
    • Any kinds of decisions that you do not want your associate to help you with.

    You can download a copy of our supported decision-making agreements booklet.

  2. What does an associate do?

    The associate:

    • helps get information you need to make a decision;
    • explains the information, as well as choices you have;
    • helps you sort through the choices and come to a decision;
    • helps you communicate your wishes; and
    • helps you put your decision into action.

    What can the associate not do

    • Make decisions for you
    • Do things without you knowing
    • Get information about you without you knowing and agreeing
    • Talk about you with other people without your permission

    What kinds of decisions can they help you make?

    An associate can help with all kinds of decisions, such as:

    • monthly budget making;
    • banking;
    • how much money to spend on food;
    • where to live;
    • whether to go to the doctor;
    • whether to get an operation;
    • whether to get your teeth fixed;
    • whether to take a holiday;
    • whether to apply for benefits;
    • whether to take a job; or
    • anything else you decide you want help with.

  3. How to make a supported decision-making agreement

    Pick an associate

    Pick someone you trust and who understands you. This could include a friend, relative, support worker or approved home operator.

    You cannot pick:

    • your boss who pays you for work;
    • anyone you pay as an employee; or
    • anyone who's had a court order against them under the Family Violence Prevention Act or Part 4 of the Adult Protection and Decision-making Act.

    Make an agreement

    1. Download and complete the agreement form.
    2. Make sure to:
      • date the form; and
      • have 2 people (witnesses) watch you and your associate sign the form. The witnesses have to sign the form, too.
    3. Give a copy of the agreement to your associate and keep the original copy for yourself in a safe place. You may also want to give a copy to other people, such as your doctor, social worker or supported independent living worker.

    What if you do not involve your associate in a decision?

    If you agreed that your associate will help you make decisions, you must talk to them before you make a decision. For example, if your agreement says that your associate will help you make all decisions that involve purchases of more than $50, then you must talk to your associate before you buy anything over $50. For example:

    • if you bought a $300 TV or got credit to buy the TV without talking to your associate; then
    • someone could ask the Yukon Supreme Court to order that the TV be returned to the store and that you get your money back.

  4. Cancel an agreement
    1. Tell your associate and other people close to you.
    2. Ask your associate and anyone else to return the copies of the agreement that you gave.
    3. Destroy all copies of your agreement.

    The agreement will automatically end if you no longer understand what you wrote and what it means to your life.


If you have questions, phone 867-456-3946, toll-free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408, extension 3946.