The Community Day Program aims to maintain or increase the level of independence in seniors and elders. This helps prevent or delay the need to move into a facility. Our services work with those offered by other providers.
We offer a safe and inviting place for seniors and elders to connect with each other. In Whitehorse, they can attend the program on either a full-time or part-time basis.
Who can access these services?
The program is for people who have a mild to moderate cognitive decline, such as dementia.
We'll have to assess you further if you:
- use a walker or wheelchair; or
- have difficulty with personal hygiene.
- need physical, social, psychological, emotional, and/or recreational support;
- need caregiver respite;
- be a permanent resident of Yukon, or be in the process of becoming a resident; and
- live in Whitehorse or within a reasonable driving distance of Whitehorse.
The program includes:
- therapeutic group programming;
- activities in maintaining independence;
- daily group recreational activities;
- socialization and peer support;
- hairdressing services;
- lunch, snacks and beverages;
- support with daily living such as bathing; and
- support to caregivers of seniors and elders.
When are these services
The program runs from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. from Monday to Friday. These services are not available on statutory holidays.
Where are these services
The program is only available at Whistle Bend Place in Whitehorse.
How much does it cost?
The program costs $5 per day.
How to access these services
- Phone the admissions and assessment coordinator 867-456-6806, or toll-free at 1-800-661-0408 extension 6806.
- The coordinator will work with you on your eligibility and complete your referral.
- The coordinator sends the referral to the Community Day Program coordinator.
- The day program coordinator will set up a tour with you and discuss program options.
For questions about the Community Day Program, phone 867-456-6806, or toll-free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408, extension 6806.