Get reimbursed for chronic disease or disability expenses

You can get reimbursed for approved purchases you make because you live with:

  • a chronic disease; or
  • a serious functional disability.

Are you eligible to get this benefit?

To be eligible, you must:

  • be a Yukon resident; and
  • have a medically diagnosed chronic disease or a serious functional disability. This includes:
    • partial and complete paralysis;
    • amputation;
    • brain damage; or
    • intellectual disabilities.

How do you get this benefit?

Your doctor must apply for this benefit for you. If your community does not have a resident doctor, your community health nurse can apply.

Normally, the application for reimbursement should happen before you make the purchase.

We can sometimes make allowances when prior approval is not possible. If you did not obtain approval prior to the purchase, you can still make a claim for reimbursement within 1 year of the purchase.

You'll need:

  • the recommendation of a qualified medical practitioner; and
  • all related documentation.

What benefits do we offer?

We provide financial help with the following.

  • Prescription drugs: A prescription drug is a therapeutic agent that has restricted access under the federal Food and Drug Act or the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act. Our coverage includes professional dispensing fees.
  • Medical surgical supplies: These include body supports, prosthetic garments, ostomy supplies, hand inhalers and nebulizers, syringes and glucose test kits, oxygen supply, dressings and bandages for chronic and recurrent conditions.
  • Medical equipment: This includes respiratory equipment, manually operated hospital beds, manually operated wheelchairs, walking aids, grab bars and support rails, commodes and glucometers.
  • Medically required prostheses that a medical practitioner practising in Yukon has recommended. 
  • Food supplements.
  • Buying and repairing hearing aids for children under 16 who have permanent hearing loss.
  • It's possible that other necessary equipment or devices may be covered if you have prior approval.

Which chronic diseases and conditions are covered?

We cover:

  • Attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
  • Adrenal disease
  • Affective disorders
  • Alzheimer's disease
  • Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
  • Ankylosing spondylitis
  • Appendicular arthritis
  • Asthma
  • Barrett's esophagus
  • Cancer
  • Celiac disease
  • Cerebral palsy
  • Chronic obstructive lung disease
  • Cardiac disorders
  • Crohn's disease
  • Cystic fibrosis
  • Cystinuria
  • Diabetes
  • Down syndrome
  • Epilepsy
  • Galactosemia
  • Glaucoma
  • Heart valve problems
  • Hemophilia
  • Hirschprung's disease
  • Huntington's disease
  • Hypercholesteremia
  • Hypertension
  • Hypogammaglobulinaemia
  • Hypogonadism
  • Multiple sclerosis
  • Muscular dystrophy
  • Myasthenia gravis
  • Narcolepsy
  • Organ transplants
  • Osteoporosis
  • Pancreatitis
  • Parkinson's disease
  • Phenylktonuria
  • Pernicious anemia
  • Pituitary disease
  • Pseudoxanthoma elasticum
  • Psoriasis
  • Psychoses
  • Restless leg syndrome
  • Sarcoidosis
  • Schizophrenia
  • Smith-lemli-opitz syndrome
  • Spina bifida
  • Systemic lupus erythematosus
  • Thrombophlebitis
  • Tourette's syndrome
  • Tuberculosis
  • Turner's syndrome
  • Ulcerative colitis
  • Williams syndrome

Restrictions on applying

If you have other coverage

If you have coverage through private or group insurance, or under another territorial act, you need to submit your claim to that insurer first, before you submit a claim to us.

You can apply for our coverage for portions not paid by your other coverage. There's an annual deductible.

What we do not cover

Items we do not cover include:

  • medical equipment that can be borrowed from the hospital or the Canadian Red Cross;
  • the cost of installing or setting up medical equipment;
  • fitting prostheses and appliances; and 
  • any other professional service charges to do with the provision of goods, except dispensing fees for prescription drugs.

If you are away from Yukon

You are not eligible to receive benefits if you're absent from Yukon for more than 183 consecutive days, unless the period is for no more than 210 days. You must then prove to us that Yukon is your only permanent residence.

If you buy items outside Yukon

You need prior approval from the program before buying anything outside Yukon. You'll have to pay for the purchase and get reimbursed. You must submit your claim within 1 year.


If you have questions about how to apply for this benefit, phone 867-667-5092, toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408, extension 5092.

Our office is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.

In person: 4th floor, Financial Plaza at 204 Lambert Street in Whitehorse

Fax: 867-393-6486

Government of Yukon
Health and Social Services, Chronic disease program, H–2
Box 2703
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6