Apply for a reception permit


  • You are serving, but not selling liquor at an event located somewhere other than a licensed premise.
  • You intend to serve alcohol at an event in a place that is generally open to the public, even if it is not open to the public at the time of the event. For instance, a staff Christmas party at a business office or a show opening at an art gallery. Reception permits are also for special events such as weddings, receptions and after-hours business events where liquor is not being sold.
  • Your event is no longer than 9 hours between 10 a.m. and 3 a.m. the next day.
  • You will make food available for each person attending the event.
  • You are not charging admission to your event.
  • Although licensees are eligible for wholesale prices, permit holders are not.

Can I serve homemade wine or beer at my event?

A reception permit allows you to serve homemade wine and beer at your event, unless a condition is placed on the permit that states otherwise.

Apply for a reception permit

  1. Complete a reception permit application.
    You can get a paper form at your local liquor store.
  2. Submit your application at least 48 hours before the reception.
    In person: 9031 Quartz Road, Whitehorse, or at your local liquor store.
    Fax: 867-393-6306
  3. Pay the $30 fee in cash, certified cheque, major credit card or debit.
  4. Your permit application will typically be reviewed within 24 hours. If everything is in order, we will call you to let you know if it's been approved.

Display your permit

Post your permit where people being served drinks can see it.


For questions about applying for a reception permit email or phone 867-667-5245 or toll free in Yukon: 1-800-661-0408, ext. 5245.