Get a Dempster Highway development permit

Do I need a permit?

To protect the Dempster Highway corridor's delicate ecosystem, you will need a permit if you plan on:

  • developing land; or
  • using motorized vehicles off-road that are not snowmobiles.

Dempster Highway corridor

The Dempster Highway corridor starts at kilometre 68 and continues north to the NWT border.

The corridor is 8-kilometre wide on either side of the centre line of the Dempster Highway.

Download a map of the corridor.

Apply for a permit

  1. Complete the application form.
  2. Submit your completed application.
    In person: Department of Environment office at 10 Burns Road in Whitehorse. We are open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:45 p.m
    Government of Yukon
    Environmental Affairs Section (V-8)
    Box 2703
    Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6
  3. We typically review, prepare and issue permits within two weeks if:
    • an environmental assessment is not required; or
    • a favourable Yukon Environmental and Socio-economic Assessment Board decision document has been issued.

Permits are free.

Environmental assessments

Obtaining a Dempster Highway development permit does not automatically start an environmental assessment under the Yukon Environmental and Socio-economic Assessment Act .

An environmental assessment may be required if other legislation applies, such as a land-use permit.

Do I also need a park permit?

You also may need a park permit if your development or use of the land overlaps with Tombstone Territorial Park. See Get a park permit for more details.