Apply for a quartz claim

Before you can apply to mine bedrock, you need to get a claim. A claim gives you the exclusive right to minerals within the claim’s area.

A quartz claim entitles you to the minerals in bedrock, also known as hard rock. If you want to explore or mine for minerals, such as gold, above the bedrock, you'll need a placer claim.


Anyone 18 years or older can stake a claim for themselves, a corporation, or another person. There is no requirement for Canadian citizenship or Yukon residency.

Corporations wanting to hold claims or do other business related to claims, must be registered with the Government of Yukon, Corporate Affairs.

Choosing a claim location

Before staking a quartz claim, make sure the ground is available for staking. You cannot stake a claim within another valid quartz claim.

  1. Check the online mining map viewer to find out what land is available.
  2. Contact your Mining Recorder's Office to confirm the area is still available.

Staking is not permitted:

  • in areas where the quartz mineral rights have already been allocated;
  • on First Nation Category A Settlement Land;
  • on land occupied by a building or within the yard of a house;
  • on agricultural land being actively cultivated;
  • on land valuable for water-power purposes;
  • on cemeteries or burial grounds; and
  • on any land removed from staking by Order in Council (often referred to as OICs or prohibition orders). For example:
    • lands withdrawn from staking for the settlement of land claims;
    • special land management areas;
    • parks;
    • airports; or
    • historic sites.

Stake your claim

In Yukon, you stake a claim by putting a series of posts in the ground. This means you must travel to the area. You cannot stake a claim on a map.

There are different types of quartz claims you can stake. There are also many requirements you must meet to stake your claim correctly.

Before you go out to stake, carefully read our quartz staking guidelines to learn about:

  • the size of the claims;
  • fractional claims;
  • clearing a location line;
  • the posts you can use to stake;
  • claim tags and how to inscribe them; and
  • the order we prefer you to stake.

Record your claim

After you stake a claim you have to complete an application for a grant of claim. This is known as recording your claim.


You must file your application for quartz claims within a specific period, called travel time. The travel time for quartz claims is 30 days from the date you staked the claim.

We will not record your claim after the allowable travel time has passed.

Apply to record your claim

Applications are usually done in-person at the district Mining Recorder’s Office.

  1. Complete the appropriate application form, either a:
  2. The person who staked the claim must sign it in front of a notary. Our staff at Mining Recorder’s Offices are notaries.
  3. Include a signed and dated sketch of your claim. Sketches must have the following information:
    • a scale;
    • a north arrow;
    • the topographic map sheet number;
    • the location of any geographical features, such as lakes, rivers, or streams;
    • the direction of staking;
    • claim boundaries; and
    • any adjacent claims.
  4. Pay the application fee of $10 per claim.
  5. We wait until the travel time for the claim has passed before approving it. This ensures there is no competing claim.

When you have to pay a financial security

If you stake a claim over an existing surface disposition, you may need to provide financial security.

If you stake a claim on First Nation Category B Settlement Land, you must provide financial security.

The district Mining Recorder can provide you with information on a case-by-case basis regarding financial security.

Mineral activities in the Peel River watershed

The 2019 Peel Watershed Regional Land Use Plan guides the management of the region. This includes:

  • environmental protection;
  • social considerations; and
  • economic development.

The cornerstone of the plan is sustainable development.

We will evaluate proposed mineral activities in the Peel Watershed region for conformity to the plan. The plan will also inform assessment and regulatory steps.

Read our brochure to see a summary of the standards for all classes of mineral activities throughout the Peel Watershed region.