You need a well licence for any oil and gas activity related to the drilling or re-entry of an oil and gas well.
Your company must hold a disposition that grants subsurface oil and gas rights before you can obtain a well licence.
To hold a well licence, your company must be:
- a corporation that's incorporated, continued, or registered under the territorial Business Corporations Act;
- incorporated or continued under the federal Bank Act;
- licensed under the territorial Insurance Act; or
- approved by us to hold a licence.
Understand the process
Read our guidelines to understand:
- application submission requirements;
- the environment and socioeconomic assessment process;
- First Nation consultation;
- other permits and licences you may need;
- financial security; and
- how to complete the application form.
Discuss your plans with us
We recommend you discuss your project with us before you apply. We can provide you with guidance on our application requirements. Phone 867-667-5026 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Apply for a licence
- Complete the application form.
- Include all of the submission requirements outlined in our guidelines. You must provide:
- 3 physical copies of the application form and supporting documentation; and
- 1 electronic version of the application and supporting documentation. Provide the electronic versions on a CD or data stick.
- Include an application fee of $500.
- Submit your application.
In person: We're located at 400 211 Main Street, in Whitehorse, Yukon. Our office is open Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Government of Yukon
Oil and Gas Resources Branch (K-11)
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6