What is solid waste?
Solid waste includes waste from residential, commercial, industrial or other human-related activities or sources. Examples include typical household and commercial garbage, and waste from building demolition and construction. Solid waste creates significant pressure on the environment.
Yukon’s Solid Waste Regulations set standards for building and operating community landfills, commercial dumps, and for managing waste in the territory.
Do I need a solid waste management permit?
You need a permit to:
- operate waste disposal facilities that dispose of or manage solid waste generated by the public;
- operate commercial dumps that dispose of solid waste generated by commercial activities or are operated commercially;
- open burn or incinerate solid waste if it's over 5 kg per day; and
- dispose waste on-site associated with use of a mobile abattoir.
Apply for a solid waste management permit
1. Complete the appropriate permit application:
- For commercial activity, a mining operation, or other industrial activity, get the consolidated application for Environment Act permits (for operations with 1 to 9 people or for operations with 10+ people).
- For on-site waste disposal associated with use of a mobile abattoir, get the application for on-farm operation of a mobile abattoir.
- For other solid waste operations, get the application for a permit for a solid waste Disposal facility or commercial dump
2. Submit your application.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- In person: at the Department of Environment office at 10 Burns Road in Whitehorse. We are open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Environmental Protection and Assessment
Government of Yukon
Box 2703 (V-8)
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6
After getting your permit
You must follow the conditions listed under your permit.
For commercial activity, mining activity or other industrial activities, consult the guidance document on requirements for commercial dumps.
For municipal or community activities, consult the guidance document on requirements for public waste disposal facilities.
If you need to install electric fencing, read our guide.
See these factsheets if you need to dispose of the following: