- Who can apply for a cannabis licence?
- What type of licence do you need?
- Complete an application package
- How much will your licence cost?
- How long will it take to process your application? And what is the approval process?
- Is there a maximum number of licences that we'll approve?
Find the steps to apply for a Yukon cannabis licence. Learn who can apply, application types and fees, and where to download application packages.
Who can apply for a cannabis licence?
Before you start your application, make sure you know if you are eligible.
- The following people are not eligible to apply for a cannabis licence or be a licensee. Young people (people under the age of 19).
- Employees of the distributor corporation.
- People who do not meet the prescribed conditions for applicants.
- People who are not ordinarily resident in Canada.
- People who cannot establish they have not been convicted of an offence of a prescribed type punishable by a term of imprisonment.
- Corporations, if an employee or director of the corporation, or the person who would be in charge of the licensed premises, cannot establish they have not been convicted of an offence of a type punishable by a term of imprisonment.
- Partners of a partnership, if a partner or the person who would be in charge of the licensed premises, cannot establish they have not been convicted of an offence of a type punishable by a term of imprisonment.
What type of licence do you need?
You can apply for 1 of 2 sub-classes of a standard retail licence:
- sub-class 1 is for a store within a store
- sub-class 2 is for a stand-alone store
Choose the type that will best suit the size and type of the retail space you will be using. Learn more about the types of cannabis sub-classes.
Complete an application package
There are 4 application packages. Choose the one that fits with the type of business you will run:
If you are not sure what type of application to submit, email us firstname.lastname@example.org or phone us 867-667-5245 or toll free at 1-800-661-0408, extension 5245.
How much will your licence cost?
All cannabis licence fees are non-refundable and are the same for Whitehorse and the communities.
- Initial application fee: $2,050
- Renewal application fee: $1,550
- 12-month licence fee: $2,150. This is an annual fee. If the licence is not issued on April 1, the fee will be pro-rated from the month it is issued to March 31.
Licence fees cover the cost of:
- reviewing and processing applications;
- making sure all conditions are met, based on territorial legislation;
- the enforcement of licences; and
- paying for ads for the public notification period.
A licence can be valid for up to 3 years. It will always end on March 31 of the year it expires.
How long will it take to process your application? And what is the approval process?
It should take 8 to 12 weeks to process your application. The approval process is as follows.
- The Yukon Liquor Corporation will review your application as soon as possible.
- If any information is missing from your application, the President will ask you to provide it.
- The corporation will notify the public to let them comment. This public notification period is 4 weeks.
- The corporation will send your application to the Cannabis Licensing Board. We also send any public comments we received.
- If there are objections from the public, the board must hold a hearing.
- The board has sole authority to grant the licence or not.
Your application could take longer than 8 to 12 weeks to process if it:
- is not complete;
- is complex; or
- receives objections during the public notification period.
We encourage you to work with us to make sure your application is as strong as possible before you submit it. Email us email@example.com or phone us 867-667-5245.
Is there a maximum number of licences that we'll approve?
No. There is no set limit under the Cannabis Control and Regulation Act.
The board will consider many factors when reviewing an application, including:
- how many licences there are in your proposed location; and
- where the business is located.
If you have questions about applying for a cannabis licence, email us firstname.lastname@example.org or phone us 867-667-5245 or toll free 1-800-661-0408 extension 5245.