- About the Cannabis Licensing Board
- Apply to be a member of the Cannabis Licensing Board
- Current members
About the Cannabis Licensing Board
The Cannabis Licensing Board has independent and sole authority under legislation to grant, refuse to grant and renew cannabis licences, with or without conditions, in Yukon, and to review decisions of the President to impose sanctions on licensees. The Board operates at arm’s length from the Distributor Corporation named as the Yukon Liquor Corporation (YLC).
- Authority: Cannabis Control and Regulation Act, part 3
- Type: quasi-judicial
- Appointment process: Order-In-Council
- Requirements: no legislated criteria required to join
- Term: not to exceed 3 years but may be reappointed for a further term
- Meetings: as required
- Department: Yukon Liquor Corporation
Apply to be a member of the Cannabis Licensing Board
Any Yukon resident is eligible to apply to serve on a government board or committee.
- Complete the application.
- Prepare a brief resume. This should include information relevant for sitting on the board or committee.
- Submit your completed application and resume.
In person: Inquiry Desk at 2071 Second Avenue in Whitehorse. We are open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Address your envelope "Attention: Boards and Committees Secretariat (CM-1)"
Government of Yukon
Boards and Committees Secretariat (CM-1)
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6
How members are selected
Members are appointed by a Minister, Cabinet or the Legislative Assembly.
School board and school council members can be elected or, in some cases, appointed.
Appointments to these boards are based on standing committee recommendations:
- Yukon Development Corporation
- Yukon Energy Corporation
- Yukon Workers' Compensation Health and Safety Board
- Yukon Lottery Commission
- Yukon Recreation Advisory Committee
- Yukon Arts Advisory Council
- Yukon Utilities Board
- Yukon Council on the Economy and the Environment
- Yukon Human Rights Commission
Some boards and committees members are required to hold certain professional qualifications or affiliations.
- David Sloan, chair and member from January 17, 2019, to January 16, 2022
- James Lindsay, member from January 17, 2019, to January 16, 2022
- John Farynowski, member from January 17, 2019, to January 16, 2022
- Mieke Leonard, vice-chair and member from January 17, 2019, to January 16, 2022
- Shari Borgford, member from January 17, 2019, to January 16, 2022
For questions about the Cannabis Licensing Board email email@example.com or phone 867-667-5245, or fax 867-393-6306, or toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408, ext. 5245.