Apply for a physiotherapist full certificate

  1. Determine if you're eligible
  2. Complete the application form
  3. Provide proof of continuing competency requirements
  4. Provide all required supporting documents
  5. Pay your fees
  6. Submit your complete application package

  1. Determine if you're eligible

    All physiotherapists in Yukon must register and hold a Yukon certificate.

    Apply for registration and a full certificate if you're planning to use the title of physiotherapist and work to the full extent of Yukon regulations.

    We accept and process new physiotherapist applications on an ongoing basis. You only need to apply for registration once. But you must renew your certificate every year. All physiotherapist certificates expire annually on January 31.


    You can register and apply for a full certificate if you meet 1 of the following 4 sets of requirements.

    • You've graduated from an approved physiotherapy program within the 3 years immediately before your application and passed the Physiotherapy Competency Exam (PCE).
    • You graduated from an approved physiotherapy program more than 3 years ago and passed the PCE within 1 year of your application.
    • You graduated from an approved physiotherapy program, you do not hold a current physiotherapist certificate but you meet all the continuing competency requirements.
    • You hold a current, physiotherapist full certificate in another Canadian jurisdiction and are in good standing in that jurisdiction. This is the only option for international graduates.

    If you’ve had any complaints, disciplinary or criminal action against you:

    • we will assess your eligibility for registration or licensure on a case-by-case basis; and
    • you may not be approved for registration or licensing.

  2. Complete the application form

    Download the application form.

    Complete all sections of the form. Do not leave a section blank. You may enter “not applicable” when it's relevant. We may return incomplete applications.



    • At the top of the application form, choose either a full or a temporary full certificate.
    • Choose temporary full if you'll practice in Yukon for less than a 3-month period in a certificate year.

  3. Provide proof of continuing competency requirements

    You must provide proof that you have completed the continuing competency requirements unless you:

    • hold a full licence in another jurisdiction; or
    • have graduated in the past 3 years; or
    • have passed the Physiotherapy Competency Exam (PCE) in the past year.

    This page contains information on continuing competency requirements and the forms and documents you may need to provide. The continuing competency guide for physiotherapists contains this information, as well as examples of acceptable and non-acceptable continuing education activities and supporting documentation.

    Continuing competency requirements

    As a physiotherapist registrant, you must demonstrate you have completed a minimum 1,200 professional practice hours. You can only claim hours you complete in the five-year period before you're applying.

    • A minimum of 60 and no more than 300 of these hours must be continuing education (CE) hours.
    • Up to 300 of these hours can be professional volunteer hours.
    • The rest of your professional practice hours must be from professional employment activities within the physiotherapist scope of practice.

    Forms and documentation required

    Provide the following completed forms with your application. We will return applications that are missing required documentation.

    Verification of employment for health professionals form

    Verification of self-employment form

    Annual continuing education form

    Continuing education supporting documents

    • Provide a supporting document from your course or training provider for every continuing education activity you listed on your annual continuing education form.
    • We accept the following as supporting documents:
      • a training or course certificate;
      • a letter or email of completion;
      • a verification of employment for health professionals  form filled out by manager or course provider; and
      • a university or college transcript.
    • Documentation must include:
      • your name;
      • the course name;
      • the course provider name; and
      • date of completion.

    If you do not have a document with this information, then you may complete the verification of completed continuing education form. Complete this form with either the course provider/instructor or your supervisor.

    Verification of volunteer hours form

  4. Provide all required supporting documents

    Current photo ID

    • Provide 1 copy of a piece of photo ID.
    • The ID must be issued by a territorial, provincial or federal government body.
    • The ID must show your current legal name.
    • We do not accept a healthcare card as a form of ID.

    Certificate of standing(s)

    We require this from all licence applicants.

    A certificate of standing is an official document that includes:

    • your registration and licensing history;
    • any limits and restrictions on your licence; and
    • any complaints or disciplinary action against you.

    Ask the regulatory body of each Canadian jurisdiction you practice in to provide a certificate.

    • You must provide a certificate for each jurisdiction.
    • Each certificate must be dated no more than 90 days before your application.
    • Have the regulatory body send the certificate(s) directly to Professional Licensing and Regulatory Affairs.
    • We do not accept certificates of standing submitted by applicants.

    Official transcript

    • Provide an official transcript confirming graduation from a physiotherapy program.
    • Have the school send the transcripts directly to PLRA.
    • We do not accept transcripts submitted by applicants.

    Proof of PCE completion

    • Provide this if you are not registered in another Canadian jurisdiction.
    • Request a verification form from the Canadian Alliance of Physiotherapy Regulators (CAPR).
    • Ask the CAPR to send this directly to PLRA.
    • We do not accept verification forms submitted by applicants.

    Proof of liability insurance

    • Provide a copy of your liability insurance.
    • Your insurance must be for a minimum of $1,000,000. 

    Special endorsement form

  5. Pay your fees


    Full certificate fees

    • Registration (1-time fee): $40.
    • Annual full certificate fee: $200.

    Temporary full certificate fees

    • Registration (1-time fee): $40.
    • Annual temporary full certificate fee: $50.

    How to pay

    You can pay by:

    • cheque;
    • credit card;
    • cash; or
    • debit.


    • Complete the payment information form.
    • Provide a cheque in the appropriate amount made out to the Government of Yukon.
    • After we issue your licence, we'll cash your cheque.

    Credit card

    • Complete the payment information form.
    • If you submit your application in person, by courier or mail, you may include your credit card info on your payment information form.
    • If you submit your application by email or fax, do not include your credit card information on your form. We'll contact you for your credit card info.
    • After we issue your licence, we'll take payment.

    Cash or debit

    • You can only pay by cash or debit if you can pay in person at our office in Whitehorse.
    • Complete the payment information form.
    • We'll hold your licence at our office after we issue it.
    • We'll take payment by cash or debit when you pick it up.

  6. Submit your complete application package

    Prepare your application package

    Your complete application package must include:

    • your completed application form;
    • all supporting documents; and
    • your payment form.

    We typically process applications within 10 business days. We'll confirm you've met all legal requirements before issuing a licence. We may return your application if you’ve not provided all the required documentation.

    How to submit

    • In person or by courier at 307 Black Street, Whitehorse Y1A 2N1. We're open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
    • Email:
    • Fax: 867-667-3609
    • Mail:
      Government of Yukon
      Professional Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (C-5)
      Box 2703
      Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6


For questions about the applying for a physiotherapist full certificate email, or phone 867-667-5111, toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408, extension 5111.