Apply for a registered psychiatric nurse interim certificate

  1. Determine if you are eligible
  2. Complete the application form
  3. Provide all other supporting documents required
  4. Pay your fees
  5. Submit your application, supporting documents and fee
  1. Determine if you are eligible

    All psychiatric nurses in Yukon must be registered and hold a certificate.

    You should apply for an interim certificate if you have not completed the Registered Psychiatric Nurse of Canada Examination (RPNCE). An interim certificate will allow you to work under supervision and use the title of interim registered psychiatric nurse (RPN).

    We accept and process new interim RPN applications on an ongoing basis. You can renew your RPN interim certificate once before you must apply for a full certificate. All RPN certificates expire annually on January 31.


    You are eligible to apply for an interim certificate if you meet all of the following requirements.

    • You have graduated from an approved RPN nursing program.
    • You have registered to write the RPNCE.
    • You have a supervisor who holds a full certificate in Yukon.
    • You have not renewed your certificate more than once.
    • You complete steps 2 to 5 of this application process.

    International graduates are not eligible for an interim certificate. You must first hold a certificate in a Canadian province.

  2. Complete the application form

    Complete all sections of the application form. Do not leave a section blank. If a section is not relevant, mark the section as “not applicable”. We may return incomplete applications.

  3. Provide all other supporting documents required

    You must also provide the following with your application.

    • Copies of 2 pieces of current ID issued by a territorial, provincial or federal government body showing your current legal name.
      • At least 1 of the 2 pieces must be photo ID.
      • We do not accept a Yukon healthcare card as a form of ID.
    • Certificate of standing in another Canadian jurisdiction
      • Request a certificate of standing if you are registered to practice in another jurisdiction.
      • Have the regulatory body send the certificate of standing directly to Professional Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (PLRA).
      • We do not accept certificates of standing submitted by applicants.
    • An official transcript confirming graduation from psychiatric nursing program.
      • Have the school send the transcripts directly to PLRA.
    • A copy of your confirmation of registration for the RPNCE.
    • Criminal record check, including vulnerable sector check.
      • You must have a new criminal record check done every 5 years.
      • Visit your local RCMP detachment to request the record check.
      • If you live in Yukon, the RCMP will send your results directly to PLRA. In this case, you do not need to send in your application package with this document included.
      • If you live outside Yukon, the RCMP may send the results directly to you. In this case, you should wait to receive your record check from the RCMP before submitting your application package.
  4. Pay your fees


    • Interim certificate registration fee (one-time fee): $40
    • Interim certificate annual fee: $200

    Payment method

    You can pay your fees by cheque or credit card. Complete the payment information form and include this and your fees with your application.

  5. Submit your application, supporting documents and fee

    Submit your entire application package. This must include:

    • your completed application form;
    • all supporting documents; and
    • your payment form and fees.

    We typically process applications within 10 business days. We will confirm you have met all legal requirements before issuing a certificate. We may return your application if you have not provided all the required documentation.

    Submit your application package

    • In person or by courier at 307 Black Street, Whitehorse Y1A 2N1. We are open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m to 4:30 p.m.
    • Email:
    • Fax: 867-667-3609
    • Mail:
      Government of Yukon
      Professional Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (C-5)
      Box 2703
      Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6


For questions about the application process, email or phone: 867-667-5111 or toll free in Yukon: 1-800-661-0408, ext. 5111.