- Determine if you are eligible
- Complete the renewal application form
- Provide proof of continuing competency requirements
- Provide all other supporting documents required
- Pay your fees
- Submit your application, supporting documents and fee
Determine if you are eligible
All psychiatric nurses in Yukon must be registered, hold a certificate and renew it every year.
A full certificate allows you to use the title of registered psychiatric nurse (RPN) and work to the full extent of your training and Yukon regulations.
Certificates expire annually on January 31. Submit your renewal application before November 30. This will ensure we can process your renewal application before your certificate expires. It is illegal to work in the new certificate year before we have processed your application.
Applicants who have not renewed by March 31 must apply for reinstatement and pay all necessary fees.
You are eligible to renew a RPN full certificate if you meet all of the following requirements.
- You currently hold a RPN full certificate for Yukon;
- you have met all continuing competency requirements; and
- you complete steps 2 to 5 of this application process.
Complete the renewal application form
Complete all sections of the renewal application form. Do not leave a section blank. You may enter “not applicable” when it is relevant. We may return incomplete applications.
At the top of the application form, choose full or a temporary full certificate. Choose temporary full if you will practice in Yukon for less than a 3-month period in a certificate year.
Provide proof of continuing competency requirements
Read the continuing competency guide for full instructions, details and examples.
Continuing competency requirements
You must have completed the following in the 5-year period before your renewal application.
- At least 1,400 professional practice hours.
- Between 60 and 300 of these 1,400 hours must have involved continuing professional education.
- No more than 300 of these 1,400 hours have involved professional volunteer service.
Forms and documentation required
You must provide the following forms and documentation with your application. We may return applications that are missing required documentation.
1. Verification of employment form
- This form helps us validate your 1,400 plus professional practice hours.
- Work with your employer to complete and submit this form.
- Fill out 1 form for each of your previous employers.
- This form helps us validate your continuing education hours.
- Complete and submit 1 form per year you are claiming hours in.
3. Continuing education supporting documents
- Provide a supporting document for every continuing education activity you are claiming that is more than 4 hours. You can also claim activities that are less than 4 hours but these do not require supporting documentation.
- Documentation must include:
- your name;
- proof of the number of hours you completed; and
- date you completed the hours.
If you do not have a document with this information, then you may complete the verification of completed continuing education form. Complete this form with either the course provider/instructor or your supervisor.
- This form helps us validate your volunteer hours.
- Work with the volunteer organization to complete and submit this form.
- We require 1 form for each organization.
- This form helps us assess the reason why a RPN licensed for less than 5 years did not meet the continuing competency requirements.
- Submit this form if you are a new graduate or are new to Yukon and require an exemption to the continuing competency requirements.
- We review exemption forms on a case-by-case basis and do not accept all exemption requests.
Provide all other supporting documents required
You must also provide the following with your application.
- Certificate of standing in another Canadian jurisdiction
- Request a certificate of standing if you are registered to practice in another jurisdiction.
- The regulatory body will send the certificate of standing directly to Professional Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (PLRA).
- We do not accept certificates of standing submitted by applicants.
- Criminal record check, including vulnerable sector check.
- You must have a new criminal record check done every 5 years.
- Visit your local RCMP detachment to request the record check.
- If you live in Yukon, the RCMP will send your results directly to PLRA. In this case, you do not need to send in your application package with this document included.
- If you live outside Yukon, the RCMP may send the results directly to you. In this case, you should wait to receive your record check from the RCMP before submitting your application package.
- Certificate of standing in another Canadian jurisdiction
Pay your fees
Renewal fees for a full RPN certificate:
- Annual certificate renewal fee: $200.
- Late fee for applications processed between February 1 and March 31: $40
Renewal fees for a temporary full RPN certificate:
- Temporary full certificate renewal fee: $50.
After March 31, applicants must apply for reinstatement and pay all applicable fees.
You can pay your fees by cheque or credit card. Complete the payment information form and include this and your fees with your application.
Submit your application, supporting documents and fee
Submit your entire application renewal package before November 30. This will ensure we can process your certificate before it expires.
The package must include:
- your completed renewal application form;
- all supporting documents; and
- your payment form and fees.
It typically takes 30 business days to process a renewal application. We will confirm you have met all legal requirements before issuing a certificate. We may return your application if you have not provided all the required documentation.
Submit your application package:
- In person or by courier at 307 Black Street, Whitehorse Y1A 2N1. We are open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m to 4:30 p.m.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax: 867-667-3609
Government of Yukon
Professional Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (C-5)
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6
For questions about the renewing your registered psychiatric nurse full certificate email email@example.com or phone 867-667-5111 or toll free in Yukon: 1-800-661-0408 ext. 5111.