Renew a registered psychiatric nurse full certificate

  1. Determine if you're eligible
  2. Complete the renewal application form
  3. Provide proof of continuing competency requirements
  4. Provide all other supporting documents required
  5. Pay your fees
  6. Submit your complete renewal application package

  1. Determine if you're eligible

    All psychiatric nurses in Yukon must register, hold a certificate and renew it every year.

    A full certificate allows you to use the title of registered psychiatric nurse (RPN) and work to the full extent of Yukon regulations.

    Renewal period

    Certificates expire annually on January 31. Submit your renewal application before December 15. This ensures we can process your renewal application before your certificate expires.

    It's illegal to work in the new licence year before we’ve renewed your licence.

    Applicants who have not renewed by March 31 must apply for reinstatement and pay all applicable fees.


    You're eligible to renew a full certificate if you meet all of the following requirements.

    • You currently hold a RPN full certificate for Yukon.
    • You have met all continuing competency requirements.

    If you’ve had any complaints, disciplinary or criminal action against you, please note:

    • we will assess your eligibility for registration or licensure on a case-by-case basis; and
    • you may not be approved for registration or licensing.

  2. Complete the renewal application form

    Download the renewal application form. Complete all sections of the form. Do not leave a section blank. You may enter “not applicable” when it's relevant. We may return incomplete applications.


    • At the top of the application form, choose full or a temporary full certificate.
    • Choose temporary full if you will practice in Yukon for less than a 3-month period in a certificate year.

  3. Provide proof of continuing competency requirements

    This page contains information on continuing competency requirements and the forms and documents you may need to provide.

    The continuing competency guide for RPNs contains this information, as well as examples of acceptable and non-acceptable continuing education activities and supporting documentation.

    Continuing competency requirements

    To renew a full licence, you must demonstrate you have completed a minimum 1,400 professional practice hours. You can only claim hours you complete in the 5-year period before you're applying.

    • A minimum of 60 and no more than 300 of these hours must be continuing education (CE) hours.
    • Up to 300 of these hours can be professional volunteer hours.
    • The rest of your professional practice hours must be from professional employment activities within the RPN scope of practice.

    Forms and documentation required

    You must provide the following forms and documentation with your application. We may return applications that are missing required documentation.

    Verification of employment for health professionals form

    Annual continuing education form

    Continuing education supporting documents

    • Provide a supporting document for every continuing education activity you listed on your annual continuing education form.
    • This documentation must include:
      • your name;
      • course name;
      • course provider name; and
      • date of completion.

    If you do not have a document with this information, then you may complete the verification of completed continuing education form with either the course provider or instructor, or your supervisor.

    Verification of volunteer hours form

    Continuing competency exemption request

    • Download the continuing competency exemption request form,
    • Submit this form if you are a new graduate or are new to Yukon and are unable to meet the continuing competency requirements. 
    • This form helps us assess the reason why an RPN licensed for less than 5 years did not meet the continuing competency requirements. We review exemption forms on a case-by-case basis and do not accept all exemption requests.

  4. Provide all other supporting documents required

    You must also provide the following with your application.

    Certificate(s) of standing

    You must provide a certificate of standing if you're registered to practice in another Canadian jurisdiction.

    A certificate of standing is an official document that includes:

    • your registration and licensing history;
    • any limits and restrictions on your licence; and
    • any complaints or disciplinary action against you.

    Ask the regulatory body of each jurisdiction you're licensed in to provide a certificate.

    • You must provide a certificate for each jurisdiction.
    • Each certificate must be dated no more than 90 days before your application.
    • Have the regulatory body send the certificate(s) directly to Professional Licensing and Regulatory Affairs.
    • We do not accept certificates of standing submitted by applicants.

    Criminal record check

    • You must have a new criminal record check done every 5 years.
    • Visit your local RCMP detachment or police to request this.
    • The RCMP or police must complete the check no more than 90 days before you submit your application.
    • Ask the RCMP to:
      • send the results to your mailing address; or
      • make the results available for you to pick up.
    • Make sure to submit the results with your complete application package.

  5. Pay your fees


    • Annual full certificate renewal fee: $200.
    • Annual temporary full certificate renewal fee: $50.
    • Late fee: $40 (for applications processed between February 1 and March 31).

    After March 31, applicants must apply for reinstatement and pay all applicable fees.

    How to pay

    You can pay by:

    • cheque;
    • credit card;
    • cash; or
    • debit.


    • Complete the payment information form.
    • Provide a cheque in the appropriate amount made out to the Government of Yukon.
    • After we issue your licence, we'll cash your cheque.

    Credit card

    • Complete the payment information form.
    • If you submit your application in person, by courier or mail, you may include your credit card info on your payment information form.
    • If you submit your application by email or fax, do not include your credit card information on your form. We'll contact you for your credit card info.
    • After we issue your licence, we'll take payment.

    Cash or debit

    • You can only pay by cash or debit if you can pay in person at our office in Whitehorse.
    • Complete the payment information form.
    • We'll hold your licence at our office after we issue it.
    • We'll take payment by cash or debit when you pick it up.

  6. Submit your complete renewal application package

    Prepare your renewal application package

    Your complete application package must include:

    • your completed application form;
    • all supporting documents; and
    • your payment form.

    We typically process applications within 30 business days. We'll confirm you've met all legal requirements before issuing a licence. We may return your application if you’ve not provided all the required documentation.

    How to submit

    • In person or by courier at 307 Black Street, Whitehorse Y1A 2N1. We're open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
    • Email:
    • Fax: 867-667-3609
    • Mail:
      Government of Yukon
      Professional Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (C-5)
      Box 2703
      Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6


For questions about renewing your certificate email, or phone 867-667-5111, toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408 extension 5111.