Getting struck from the societies registry

If your society hasn't filed the required paperwork for a long time, you'll get a warning letter from the registrar. The letter will state that if you do not come back into compliance, we'll dissolve your society. 

The following societies were dissolved on October 3, 2023. 

Download the list here.


Did you get a letter?

The registrar sent you a dissolution warning letter because:

  • it’s been more than 12 months since your last annual report was due;
  • you did not file your last annual report;

Missing forms

If you do not know which form is missing, search the Yukon Corporate Online Registry (YCOR).

  1. Log in to your account. If you do not have an account, create one.
  2. Look at your profile report to see when you filed your last annual report.

Societies must file an annual report every year.

Contact us

Contact the societies advisor to find out what you need to do to come back into compliance.

Phone: 867-332-7950

If the registrar dissolves your society, it'll no longer be a legal entity, and will cease to exist.

Your society will appear as “dissolved by registrar” when you search for it on YCOR.

You will no longer be:

  • able to prove compliance;
  • eligible for funding; or
  • subject to the requirements of the Societies Act.

If you get a letter notifying you that you’ll be struck from the registry, you have 30 days to either:

  • come back into compliance;
  • apply for an extension to come back into compliance; or
  • respond to the registrar to explain the steps you’re taking to come back into compliance.

If you do nothing

The registrar will dissolve your society 60 days after the date of your letter.

Option 1: Come back into compliance

Your society can operate as usual and will not dissolve if you come back into compliance within 30 days.

To come back into compliance, you need to file:

Find out how to come back into compliance when you’re behind on annual reports.

Option 2: Apply for an extension

If you apply for an extension within 30 days, you get 8 months to come back into compliance. If you cannot be in compliance within 8 months, the registrar will dissolve your society.

You can apply for an extension by filling out this form.

Option 3: Respond to the registrar

You can respond to the registrar within 30 days to explain the steps you're taking to come back into compliance.

Email the registrar or phone 867-332-7950.

You have to show the registrar that you’re doing what you can to come back into compliance. If you do this, you'll get 60 more days to come back into compliance. If you are not back in compliance within 60 days, your society may be dissolved.

If you do nothing, the registrar will dissolve your society within 60 days from the date of the letter. Dissolution means your society will no longer exist as a legal entity.

If you choose this option, we recommend that you take care of your affairs and close any bank accounts before you dissolve.

We send the warning letter to the address on file. If the letter went to a wrong address then we do not have the most up-to-date address on file for your society.

You can file a change of address form along with any missing annual reports to correct this.

The registrar will dissolve your society if:

  • you do not respond to the letter; and
  • miss the deadline to come back into compliance.

You can either:

  • revive the dissolved society; or
  • incorporate a new society.

Revive a society

To revive a society, you need to file the missing annual reports.

But, you get to keep the:

  • name of the society; and
  • original incorporation date.

This option may make it easier for you to access existing bank accounts or other assets.

Incorporate a new society

If you incorporate a new society, you avoid the need to catch up on missing paperwork, but you would need to choose a new name.

You may need to prove that you were somehow connected to old assets or bank accounts.


We're open Monday to Friday from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm at 307 Black Street, 1st floor in Whitehorse.

Phone: 867-667-5111, or toll free in the Yukon 1-800-661-0408, extension 5111

Mail: Government of Yukon
Professional Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (C-5)
Box 2703,
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6