How to get your society back into compliance

Societies in default

If a society does not submit their annual report within 4 months of their end of fiscal year, we'll report your society as being in default of the Societies Act on our online corporate registry (YCOR). Some societies are years behind in filing because of the COVID-19 pandemic or other circumstances.

This information can help you come back into compliance if you're in default and incorporated before April 1, 2021. Our societies advisor can also support you. Get in touch by emailing or call 332-7950.  

Check your society’s status 

If you are not sure if you're in compliance, you can check online using YCOR.  

View YCOR.  

To check your society’s status, you need to: 

  • open YCOR; and
  • search for the society you’re looking for.

The status of your society will appear with the search results. If your society has been dissolved, see how to revive your society.  

How to catch up on your filings 

Find out what filings are missing 

If your society is in default, you need to figure out which filings are missing so you can prepare to submit them. 

  1. Log in to YCOR 
  2. Search for the society you’re looking for.
  3. Under profile report, click “View”.
  4. Scroll down to the “Filings” section at the bottom. You'll be able to see the last year you filed. 

Hold an annual general meeting if you have not had one 

If you did not hold an annual general meeting (AGM) each year like you should have done, you can hold 1 AGM to catch up on everything. These are the things you need to do to hold an AGM: 

  • Set a date for your AGM and give all your members adequate notice. Notice is 14 days, unless otherwise specified in your bylaws. 
  • Present financial statements for each fiscal year to your members and make sure each set is signed by 2 board members. 
  • If you like, elect board members. This is not required and you may have different rules in your bylaws about when you elect board members.  
  • Waive the need for financial review for the next fiscal year, if required.
    • This is only necessary if you're a Category A or B society that is not required or does not want to have their financials reviewed by an accountant during the upcoming fiscal year. 

Prepare your missing files 

Once you know which annual reports are missing, you need to prepare and submit the documents for each missing fiscal year. If you're filing under the old Societies Act, each missing fiscal year should have the following files packaged together, prepared as though they were filed at the appropriate time. The package should include: 

You may also need to provide the following: 

If possible, we ask that you submit all missing annual reports at the same time. This will help us file your missing reports smoothly.

If you need help working out which forms to use and what you need to file, contact us.

Email: or  

Phone: 332-7950 or 867-667-5314

File and make payment to Corporate Affairs 

You can submit your documents by mail, email or in person. You can provide payment at the front desk, by mailed cheque or by credit card over the phone.  


We're open Monday to Friday from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm at 307 Black Street, 1st floor in Whitehorse. 

Phone: 867-667-5314, or toll free in the Yukon 1-800-661-0408, extension 5314 

Mail: Government of Yukon 
Corporate Affairs (C-6) 
Box 2703, 
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6