You must get a licence before holding a Chase the Ace-style lottery in Yukon.
How Chase the Ace-style lotteries work
Chase the Ace-style lotteries are a kind of progressive raffle where the jackpot continues to grow over time. A Chase the Ace-style lottery license is a single permit for up to 52 events or draw dates.
In Chase the Ace there are 2 chances to win at every event that’s held: the initial ticket draw and the jackpot game.
In the initial draw, a winning ticket is pulled and the holder of the winning ticket takes a percentage of the day’s ticket sales. The initial draw winner then plays the jackpot game by choosing a playing card from a card deck. If they draw the pre-determined winning card, they also win the jackpot.
If they don’t draw the winning card, the card they chose is destroyed and the remaining cards are secured until the next event. The jackpot can continue to grow over several events until someone pulls the winning card.
Before you apply
Confirm your eligibility
- Complete the Eligibility for Gaming Licensing Questionnaire.
- Your organization must meet the following eligibility criteria. It must:
- Be operating as a not-for-profit with a primarily charitable or religious purpose.
- Be currently registered and in compliance with the Societies Act or be operating in Yukon and incorporated as a charitable organization under the laws of Canada.
- Be actively delivering a charitable program or service that benefits a significant segment of the community.
- Have delivered a charitable program to the community for at least 12 months before applying for a licence.
We will contact you within 4 to 6 weeks to confirm your organization’s eligibility to apply.
Review terms and conditions
Familiarize yourself with the terms and conditions lottery licence holders must legally follow.
We highlight key terms and conditions in our instructions on how to hold a Chase the Ace-style lottery. If we approve your application, we will also attach a complete list of terms and conditions to your licence.
The Lottery Licensing Act Regulations also broadly outline terms and conditions.
Hold a motion
Before you apply, your organization must pass a motion authorizing an application for a lottery licence.
Record this motion in your organization’s minutes. You will need to provide us with a copy in your application.
Apply for a Chase the Ace-style lottery
Complete the application package
You can complete the application package or request an application:
- In-person: 307 Black Street. Our office hours are Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- By phone: 867-667-5111 or toll free in Yukon: 1-800-661-0408, ext. 5111.
Determine your rules of play
Your rules of play govern how you will run your lottery. You must submit these with your licence application package.
These are the minimum requirements for your rules of play. You can also include additional rules, but they must comply with the Lottery Licensing Act Regulations. Your Chase the Ace-style lottery rules of play must state:
- the dates, time periods and location for your events;
- the maximum jackpot (no more than $100,000);
- what card wins the jackpot (the specified card);
- how you will run the initial (ticket) draw, including:
- that ticket holders must attend the initial draw to win that day's prize and the chance to draw the winning card for the jackpot
- that before you draw for the winning ticket
- you will announce that day's initial prize amount
- you will announce the jackpot amount
- that after you draw the winning ticket
- you will announce the winning ticket number at least three times within 15 minutes of the initial draw
- you will draw a new ticket if no winner comes forward after 15 minutes;
- how you will run the jackpot draw, including:
- that only the initial draw winner can draw fro the jackpot (no proxies)
- that you will show the winning card is in the deck before the jackpot draw happens
- that you will shuffle the deck after you have shown the winning card
- the if the winning card isn't draw, you will record the card that was drawn, destroy it and show the deck still contains the winning card;
- your termination plan;
- how and when you will award prizes;
- any age limit for playing; and
- your complaint process, including the name and contact information of the person you have designated to address potential complaints.
Note: The government isn't responsible for the content of your rules of play. We review your rules of play to make sure they include all legally required elements before we issue your licence.
Create a sample ticket
Provide a mock-up of your ticket with your application package. The sample ticket format found on page 4 in the application package can service as a guide. It identifies the essential information your ticket must contain. Note: Licence holders are required to have tickets commercially printed.
Include your licence fee
You will also need to submit your licence fee with your application. The fee to hold a Chase the Ace-style lottery is $100 plus 1% of your total ticket sales. You must include the $100 with your licence application and provide the rest within 30 days of your licence ending.
Submit your application package
Submit your completed application package and licence fee at least 30 days before the first day of your proposed ticket sales.
- Email: email@example.com
Note: You will need to submit your licence fee payment in person or by mail.
- Phone: 867-667-5111 or toll free in Yukon: 1-800-661-0408, ext. 5111.
Government of Yukon
Professional Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (C-5)