In order to renew your oil and gas permit, you need to drill at least 1 well in the permit area. You can group your oil and gas permits so that drilling 1 well will qualify for all of the permits in the group.
You can group permits if:
- the initial terms of the permits in the proposed group have not expired;
- the drilling of a well will start after we receive your application;
- the drilling of the well will start before the permits in the group expire;
- the permit locations border one another;
- the permits do not belong to another group; and
- you provide evidence that the well will evaluate the oil or gas potential in each of the permit locations in the group.
Apply to group your permits
- Read the guidelines on grouping permits.
- Complete the application form.
- Include an oil and gas transmittal letter.
- Submit the completed form to the Geothermal and Petroleum Resources Branch.
In person: We are located at 400-211 Main Street, in Whitehorse, Yukon. Our office is open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Government of Yukon
Geothermal and Petroleum Resources Branch (K-11)
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6
- We review your application. If we approve the grouping, it becomes effective the date we received the application.
Termination of a group
Your group will terminate on:
- the earliest expiry date of a permit in the group; or
- the day we receive your request for termination.
If you wish to terminate your group, use the Application to group Yukon permits form.
Renewal of permits in a group of permits
All the permits in the group qualify for a 2nd term if:
- a qualifying well is drilled in the group; and
- it evaluates oil or gas potential for all the permits.