Placer prospecting leases are issued for 1 year. You can only renew your lease twice.
Notice to prospecting leaseholders
Your placer prospecting lease can be renewed if you've completed at least $1,000 worth of work per lease mile. This work must follow your approved work program. Rates from the Placer Schedule of Representation Work do not apply to leases. Discuss your work with the district Mining Recorder's Office to ensure it meets the requirement.
Calculating your expenditures
When calculating your expenditures, you can include hourly costs of labour and equipment operation for prospecting or testing work. Get the standard industry rates from the district Mining Recorder's Office.
We do not credit costs for:
- support workers;
- administration; or
- hand panning.
All expenditures must be made within Yukon. We might ask for evidence of the costs, including receipts.
Find more details on calculating your expenditures in our prospecting lease guide.
You must file your work with the district Mining Recorder's Office on or before the lease's expiry date. There is no grace period after the lease expires.
Apply to renew your lease
- Complete the application form.
- a description of the testing work you completed;
- the rates you used to calculate the expenditures;
- detailed drill logs noting the materials encountered;
- GPS locations of all drill holes if you drilled;
- a sketch or map of the work location(s); and
- a new work program proposal with a sketch or map of new work locations.
- If you did work that requires you to submit a report, you must submit it with your application.
- Swear your application in front of a notary. Our staff at mining recorder’s offices are notaries.
- Submit your application to the district Mining Recorder's Office.