- Mining policy notices
- Mining notices
- Interpretive bulletins
Mining policy notices
Notice of relief
Due to travel restrictions and economic impacts related to the COVID-19 pandemic, miners do not have to do work on their claims or prospecting leases to keep them in good standing in 2020. You will not have to:
- do annual representation work on quartz claims;
- do annual representation work on placer claims;
- do annual representation work on prospecting leases in their 1st or 2nd years; or
- make a payment-in-lieu of work on quartz claims.
Relief applies to claims and prospecting leases that expire between April 23, 2020, and April 22, 2021. We’ll automatically extend the claims and prospecting leases expiring within this period.
If you’ve already applied for relief and your claims expired prior to April 23, 2020, the Mineral Resources Branch will contact you.
If you choose to perform work, all notification and permitting requirements still apply. The relief order will not extend the expiry date of your notification or approval. You can continue to file work that has been completed on your claim or prospecting lease.
For more information, contact a district Mining recorder’s office.
Changes to Class 1 notification
As of April 1, 2020, you need to complete a Class 1 notification for activities across Yukon. If you have a valid Class 3 or Class 4 mining land use authorization, a Class 1 notification is not needed.
Courtesy notices of lapsing claims
Corporations doing business in Yukon
Corporations wanting to do business in Yukon must be registered with the Government of Yukon’s Corporate Affairs Branch. This includes to hold mining claims.
If you are not registered, your claim status and right to work it could be revoked.
For more information, contact a district Mining recorder's office.
Placer Mining Act
- Timber Resources on Placer Claims located on Settlement Land
- Placer Mining in the Indian River Area
- Placer Claim Renewals: Schedule of Representation Work
- Placer Operation Class Criteria
- Placer Layovers
Quartz Mining Act
Miner's Lien Act