See mining notices and bulletins

  • Mining policy notices
  • Mining notices
  • Interpretive bulletins
  1. Mining policy notices

    Notice of relief

    Due to travel restrictions and economic impacts related to the COVID-19 pandemic, miners do not have to do work on their claims or prospecting leases to keep them in good standing in 2020. You will not have to:

    • do annual representation work on quartz claims;
    • do annual representation work on placer claims;
    • do annual representation work on prospecting leases in their 1st or 2nd years; or
    • make a payment-in-lieu of work on quartz claims.

    Relief applies to claims and prospecting leases that expire between April 23, 2020, and April 22, 2021. We’ll automatically extend the claims and prospecting leases expiring within this period.

    If you’ve already applied for relief and your claims expired prior to April 23, 2020, the Mineral Resources Branch will contact you.

    If you choose to perform work, all notification and permitting requirements still apply. The relief order will not extend the expiry date of your notification or approval. You can continue to file work that has been completed on your claim or prospecting lease.

    For more information, contact a district Mining recorder’s office.

    Changes to Class 1 notification

    As of April 1, 2020, you need to complete a Class 1 notification for activities across Yukon. If you have a valid Class 3 or Class 4 mining land use authorization, a Class 1 notification is not needed.

    Submit a Class 1 notification.

    Courtesy notices of lapsing claims

    We are no longer mailing courtesy notices of lapsing claims. You can check the status of your claim on our mining claims database. For more information, contact a district Mining recorder's office.

    Corporations doing business in Yukon

    Corporations wanting to do business in Yukon must be registered with the Government of Yukon’s Corporate Affairs Branch. This includes to hold mining claims.

    If you are not registered, your claim status and right to work it could be revoked.

    For more information, contact a district Mining recorder's office.

  2. Mining notices

    Notice of hearing

    We are reviewing an application on an order vesting the interest in a number of placer claims under the Placer Mining Act. Read the full notice.

    Notice of debarrment

    A Debarrment Order was issued, under the Placer Mining Act, on April 5, 2019, and it's in effect for 3 years.

  3. Interpretive bulletins

    These interpretive bulletins provide direction on interpreting the laws around mining. If you need more information, contact a Mining recorder's office. You can also email

    Placer Mining Act

    Quartz Mining Act

    Miner's Lien Act