Apply for a permit to use heavy equipment on a winter trail

You need a land use permit to use heavy equipment on a winter trail if:

  • the equipment has a net weight over 5 tonnes;
  • the equipment has a ground pressure over 35 kilopascal; or
  • you're ploughing a trail over 1.5 metres wide.

You do not need to apply for a land use permit if the winter trail is:

  • considered a road managed by Highways and Public Works; or
  • located on First Nation Settlement Land.

However, you may require other authorizations if the winter trail crosses these jurisdictions. Contact Highways and Public Works or the First Nation to learn more.

Apply for a permit

  1. Download, complete and sign the application form.
  2. Include a map of the trail you want to use.
  3. Optionally, you can also include:
    • your fuel spill response plan; or
    • an outline of any First Nation consultation you did.
  4. Include your fees:
    • an application fee of $150 plus 5% GST;
    • $50 for the 1st 2 hectares of land you'll use; and
    • $50 for every hectare over 2.
  5. Submit your application.
    • In person to 1 of these offices:
    • Mail:
      Government of Yukon
      Land Management Branch (K-230)
      Box 2703
      Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6
  6. Complete a Yukon environmental and socio-economic assessment.
  7. Once we receive a recommendation from the Yukon Environmental and Socio-economic Assessment Board, we'll make a decision about your application.
  8. We'll send you our decision about your application by email or mail.
  9. If your application is approved, the email or letter will tell you where to pick up your permit.
  10. When you pick up your permit, our staff will review the terms and conditions with you.

View frequently permitted winter trails

We have maps of winter trails that we frequently permit.


If you have questions, contact the Land Management Branch. Phone 867-667-5215 or email [email protected].