Know what minors can and cannot do when working around alcohol

In Yukon, people under 19 years old are considered minors. For minors to work around alcohol they must meet the following conditions.

  • The minor must be at least 16 years old. If they're younger, they need special permission from the Yukon Liquor Corporation.
  • Parents must give written consent. It must be kept on file at the licensed premises. It must be available to any liquor inspector upon request.
  • An adult must closely supervise minors at all times.
  • Minors are not allowed in any licensed premises where there's adult or exotic entertainment.
  • Minors are not allowed to pour, mix or open alcohol.

In a premise with a food-primary licence minors can:

  • deliver alcohol to a customer;
  • deliver food from a kitchen to customers;
  • bus tables; or
  • conduct any other position that does not involve the pouring, mixing or opening of alcohol.

In a premise with a liquor-primary licence minors can:

  • deliver food from a kitchen to customers;
  • bus tables;
  • work with a contractor on repairs;
  • complete equipment set-up, take down and sound checks; or
  • perform as long as the minor leaves the premises between performances.



For questions about minors working in licensed establishments email or phone 867-667-5245 or toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408, extension 5245.