Apply to remove material from a public pit

You can apply for a permit to remove material, such as gravel, from a designated public pit. Permits are free and allow you to take up to 35 cubic metres of material for personal use only.

Apply for a permit

  1. Contact your local Compliance Monitoring and Inspections office to find out where active pits are.
  2. Complete the application form.
  3. Submit your form in person to the Compliance Monitoring and Inspection office.
  4. If approved, we'll issue you a permit at the time of application.

Updates on public pits

Marsh Lake public pit reopens

The public gravel pit at the Marsh Lake Transfer Station has reopened. We closed the pit over the winter because of safety concerns with the high, steep slopes.

We've now fixed the slopes and developed the pit to its maximum limits. Once the granular material located on the floor of the pit is gone, we'll close and decommission the pit.

We've closed the following public pits due to health and safety concerns:

  • kilometre 223, North Klondike Highway; and
  • kilometre 50, Tagish Road.

We've permanently closed the following public pits because they've been depleted:

  • kilometre 1484.1, Alaska Highway, near Stony Creek;
  • kilometre 2.7, McLean Lake Road; and
  • kilometre 150, South Klondike Highway, near Kookatsoon Lake.