Get a storage tank permit

The 2015 National Fire Code states that a storage tank:

  • is a vessel used for the storage of flammable or combustible liquids;
  • has a capacity of more than 230 litres;
  • is made to be in a fixed location; and
  • can be underground or aboveground.

When storage tanks leak, their contents can harm the environment and pose a threat to public health.

Yukon storage tank regulations set requirements for storing hazardous substances including petroleum products, and for keeping records of certain products.

Are permits required for a storage tank?

Yes. Permits are required for storage tanks of all sizes, regardless of where they are situated.

Underground storage tanks

Underground storage tanks are those with 10% or more of their volume covered by materials such as concrete or earth.
  • Storage of hazardous substances other than petroleum products is not permitted in these tanks.
  • A permit is required for any underground storage tank system being used to store petroleum products.
  • You need a permit for any size of underground tank or tanks system for petroleum products.

Aboveground storage tanks

Aboveground storage tanks have 90% or more of their volume above the ground surface. It also must operate close to atmospheric pressure.
A permit is required for an aboveground storage tank system of connected tanks that:
  • holds petroleum products; or
  • holds other hazardous substances.

Out-of-use storage tanks

A permit is required to:

  • remove an underground storage tank or aboveground storage tank systems that have been taken out of service.
  • abandon an underground storage tank in place.

Visit Remove an underground fuel tank for more information.

When a storage tank permit is not required

  • when tanks store non-hazardous substances, such as water; or
  • when tanks are installed on federally regulated lands (for example: Airports; non-settled Indigenous lands; rail lines; pipe lines; telecommunication towers; Canada Post; RCMP; Banks; Parks Canada), they are federally regulated.

To report infractions noted on fuel tanks situated on federally regulated lands in Yukon, please contact locally based ECCC Enforcement Officers:  

Apply for a storage tank permit

Residential or domestic tanks containing less than 2,000 litres

  1. For properties situated in Yukon and anywhere outside of Whitehorse, contact Building Safety and Standards:
    Phone: 867-667-5741 or toll free in Yukon: 1-800-661-0408 extension 5741
    In person: 2251B Second Avenue in Whitehorse. We are open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
    Government of Yukon
    Building Safety & Standards
    PO Box 2703 (C-8)
    Whitehorse, Yukon
    Y1A 2C6
  2. For properties situated in the municipality of Whitehorse, contact Land & Building Services:
    Phone: 668-8346
    In person: Municipal Services Building at 4210 4th Avenue
    Land & Building Services 
    2121 2nd Avenue
    Whitehorse, Yukon

Commercial above ground tanks intended to be used for storage of petroleum products or hazardous substances require a permit.

For tanks under 2,000L, contact Building Safety and Standards at  867-667-5741.

For tanks equal to or larger than 2,000L contact the Fire Marshal's Office at 867-456-6517.

  1. Complete the storage tank system permit application.

  2. Submit your application:
    In person: 91790 Alaska Highway in Whitehorse. We are open Monday to Friday from 8:30 to 4 p.m.
    Government of Yukon
    Fire Marshal's Office
    Box 2703 (C-20)
    Whitehorse, Yukon
    Y1A 2C6

Note to all applicants

  • The inspecting agency may conduct a pre-permit inspection prior to the issuance of a permit.
  • If storing more than 100,000 litres combined on site, the project will be required to undergo an assessment under the Yukon Environmental and Socio-economic Assessment Act.
  • You may be asked for information in addition to that requested on the application.
  • You may be required to pay a technical review fee prior to the issuance of a permit.

Visit Prevent fuel and chemical spills for more information on storage and record-keeping.


For any questions about storage tank permits, email or phone: 867-456-6517 or toll free in Yukon: 1-800-661-0408, extension 6517.