Get a permit to sell or give away food at an event

You need to get a permit to sell or give away food you've made at an event. This could be a function or a special occasion. Submit your application 2 weeks before your event.

Here's a list of kitchen facilities in Whitehorse that you can rent to make food:

  • Association franco-yukonnaise – 302 Strickland Street, phone 867-668-2663 ext. 550;
  • Royal Canadian Legion – 503 Steele Street, phone 867-667-2802
  • Sacred Heart Cathedral – 406 Steele Street, phone 867-667-2437;
  • United Church – 601 Main Street, phone 867-667-2989; and
  • Hellaby Hall in Christ Church Cathedral – corner of 4th Avenue and Elliott Street, phone 867-667-7746.

When you do not need a permit

You do not need a permit to make non-potentially hazardous foods:

  • apple sauce;
  • fudge, toffee and hard candy;
  • bread, bannock and buns as long as you do not use potentially hazardous foods as fillings, such as dairy or cheese;
  • butter tarts;
  • cakes, cinnamon buns, brownies or muffins with sugar icing only and no dairy fillings or synthetic whipped cream;
  • popcorn;
  • dry cereal products;
  • dry noodles made with dry flour only and no eggs;
  • chocolate;
  • cookies, Rice Krispies squares;
  • dried fruit;
  • whole fresh fruit and vegetables;
  • fruit pies and pastry;
  • pasteurized honey and syrup;
  • jam or jelly with pH 4.6 or less; and
  • pickled vegetables with pH 4.6 or less.

You can make the items listed above in a home kitchen.

What we consider when reviewing your application

The very young and very old are more vulnerable to illness. Some of the things we consider when deciding if a temporary food permit is required include:

  • what population will be served; 
  • planned menu items;
  • source and quality of food and water;
  • location of food preparation and facility;
  • is the facility approved by Environmental Health Services for food preparation;
  • are all required facilities available; and
  • the overall method of food preparation and handling.

Before you apply

To successfully complete your application, gather information about:

  • your menu;
  • how food will be prepared;
  • your water supply;
  • sewage and solid waste disposal;
  • washroom facilities; and
  • facilities for washing your hands, surfaces, utensils or kitchenware.

How to apply

  1. Gather the documents you need.
  2. Complete the application.
  3. Submit your application 2 weeks before the event, function or special occasion.
    In person: 2 Hospital Road, Whitehorse. Our Environmental Health Services office is open Monday to Friday from 8:30 to 4:30 p.m.
    Fax: 867- 667-8322

Still not sure if you need a permit?

Foods that support the growth of infectious microorganisms will need a permit. If you're in doubt if the food you'll be serving is potentially hazardous contact us.


If you have questions or want to find a food-safety and FOODSAFE (food handling) courses email, or phone 867-667-8391, or toll-free 1-800-661-0408, extension 8391.