Get a storage tank permit

The 2015 National Fire Code states that a storage tank:

  • is a vessel used for the storage of flammable or combustible liquids;
  • has a capacity of more than 230 litres;
  • is made to be in a fixed location; and
  • can be underground or aboveground.

When storage tanks leak, their contents can harm the environment and pose a threat to public health.

Yukon storage tank regulations set requirements for storing hazardous substances including petroleum products, and for keeping records of certain products.

Are permits required for a storage tank?

Yes. Permits are required for storage tanks of all sizes, regardless of where they are situated.

Underground storage tanks

Underground storage tanks are those with 10% or more of their volume covered by materials such as concrete or earth.
  • Storage of hazardous substances other than petroleum products is not permitted in these tanks.
  • A permit is required for any underground storage tank system being used to store petroleum products.
  • You need a permit for any size of underground tank or tanks system for petroleum products.

Aboveground storage tanks

Aboveground storage tanks have 90% or more of their volume above the ground surface. It also must operate close to atmospheric pressure.
A permit is required for an aboveground storage tank system of connected tanks that:
  • holds petroleum products; or
  • holds other hazardous substances.

Out-of-use storage tanks

A permit is required to:

  • remove underground storage tank or aboveground storage tank systems that have been taken out of service.
  • abandon an underground storage tank in place.

When a storage tank permit is not required

  • when tanks store non-hazardous substances, such as water; or
  • when tanks are installed on air-side at an airport, and these must follow federal laws.

Apply for a storage tank permit

Residential or domestic tanks containing less than 2,500 litres

  1. For properties situated in Yukon and anywhere outside of Whitehorse, contact Building Safety and Standards:
    Phone: 867-667-5741 or toll free in Yukon: 1-800-661-0408 extension 5741
    In person: 2251B Second Avenue in Whitehorse. We are open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
    Government of Yukon
    Building Safety & Standards
    PO Box 2703 (C-8)
    Whitehorse, Yukon
    Y1A 2C6
  2. For properties situated in the municipality of Whitehorse, contact Land & Building Services:
    Phone: 668-8346
    In person: Municipal Services Building at 4210 4th Avenue
    Land & Building Services 
    2121 2nd Avenue
    Whitehorse, Yukon

Commercial aboveground tanks containing 2,000L or more of hazardous substances or 4,000L or more of petroleum products and all commercial underground tanks

  1. Complete the storage tank system permit application.

  2. Submit your application:
    In person: 91790 Alaska Highway in Whitehorse. We are open Monday to Friday from 8:30 to 4 p.m.
    Government of Yukon
    Fire Marshal's Office
    Box 2703 (C-20)
    Whitehorse, Yukon
    Y1A 2C6

Note to all applicants

  • The inspecting agency may conduct a pre-permit inspection prior to the issuance of a permit.
  • If storing more than 100,000 litres combined on site, the project will be required to undergo an assessment under the Yukon Environmental and Socio-economic Assessment Act.
  • You may be asked for information in addition to that requested on the application.
  • You may be required to pay a technical review fee prior to the issuance of a permit.

Visit Prevent fuel and chemical spills for more information on storage and record-keeping.


For any questions about storage tank permits, email or phone: 867-667-5230 or toll free in Yukon: 1-800-661-0408, extension 5230.